Carbon Fibre

Chris Howell

Mar 30, 2015, 6:40:00 PM3/30/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Ben, I'm contacting various folk for carbon fibre material, expoxies and polyurethanes. Would there be any interest for working with carbon fibre and what projects would they like to work on?

Chris Howell

Jun 30, 2015, 5:00:31 AM6/30/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Things are coming together on this front, I now have a box to make a small oven, Arduino for heat control. Power Supply There's more to work on; thermocouples, heating elements, fans, holes for vac pump etc.

However of key concern is insulating the box - I went to buy a sheet of celotex insulation board and couldn't actually fit in in my car.

So, if we do have some off-cuts or know where i could get my hands on some offcuts of PU foam insulation board, That'd be much appreiciated.

Cheers
- Chris

Glen Beestone

Jun 30, 2015, 5:12:02 AM6/30/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
 could you make your own PU foam insulation by using expanded PU foam from a can sprayed into a former/mold

Glen

Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 10:00 AM
From: "Chris Howell" <chris.k...@gmail.com>
To: north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Makers] Re: Carbon Fibre

Alistair MacDonald

Jun 30, 2015, 5:21:16 AM6/30/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

I feel a challenge coming on. We all build a tent each and sleep in it for a night. The winner is the one who, well, does not do this in the first place.:-)

  Alistair

Alistair MacDonald

Jun 30, 2015, 5:22:44 AM6/30/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Oooops, Wrong thread. :-)

On 30 June 2015 at 10:21, Alistair MacDonald

Aidan Cowen

Jun 30, 2015, 11:48:40 AM6/30/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in playing around with CF for guitar fretboards.

Jon Davies

Jun 30, 2015, 1:33:28 PM6/30/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
LOL!
We all build a PU foam cocoon and see who can can break out the quickest without breaking a sweat.

Benjamin

Jul 1, 2015, 12:54:10 PM7/1/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
What's the max operating temp? 80degC?

Benjamin

Jul 2, 2015, 5:57:11 AM7/2/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the toaster heaters for the oven, Iain!

Chris,
The more I think about your 'glass backing' idea, the more I like it. I'll allow perfect joining lines between two halves of parts you want to join together, and also mirror finishes on one side for things like Aiden's fret-boards.
With Glen's aluminium powder, we can make fairly durable, aluminium-look parts.
We'd do well to put a metal plate with a thermal mains cutout on the system as a failsafe, in case the arduino programming goes ga-ga. Yummm, PU fumes :)

Aiden,
If you need your fret boards to be curved, you can cast a perfectly flat veneer, bend it slightly, then brace and cure it curved.. that way you have a perfect external finish with the profile you want, without having to precision machine a negative mould with the required complex curved geometry
What length would you need them to be?