3D Thursday Tonight (4-2-16)

Will McElderry

Feb 4, 2016, 8:37:20 AM2/4/16
to makerspace
Hi All,

It's the another 3D Thursday of 2016 (18:30-21:30).

I will be printing the next part of Glen's inMoov hand project.

I believe Steve's £160 printer experiment is going to be taken to the
next stage - testing out ninja flex printing.

I'm intending to test laptop and projector combinations, and plan some
workshop ideas in more detail:
- Designing using openSCAD (& freeCAD? - I'm still learning but
we'll see...)
- Getting to grips with and flashing Marlin Firmware
- How slicers work

Cay's also discussing hosting a workshop that is very interesting on
fixing other people's designs for 3D printing - should be *very* useful.
We've also had the offer from formWurx's Jason Spiller of demoing his
new 3D scanner, so that may come about too.

How will these interact with the 'build along 160' idea? To be discussed.

Hope to see you tonight!

W.

StevenQ-NE-UK

Feb 4, 2016, 9:27:24 AM2/4/16
to North East Makers, wi...@mcelderry.com
Greetings 3D printer'ers (that's a made up word)

I'll be at the Space tonight working on the £160 ebay printer and it's jamming X axis (there's a nut that I think is too tight)

After that's fixed I'll be trying some Ninjaflex filament and comparing the results to a print from my BQ prusa.  I'll be running the exact same g-code.

There's some Slic3r profiles to install on the 3D Printer laptops so I'd like someone to show me the software on those machines so I can show others.

I also have another dual colour print sample and there should be a gear cube around that the ebay printer printed (I'm assuming it's been returned as it was borrowed on Tuesday night)

As usual, if you have any questions feel free to stop me for a chat.

See you there

Steve

Benjamin

Feb 4, 2016, 11:38:47 AM2/4/16
to North East Makers, wi...@mcelderry.com
I'm disappointed I won't be able to make it this eve, sounds like a good one! I'm curious to see the Ninjaflex print
Jason, have you had a shot at using your scanner to take the surface texture of skin? If you can capture its roughness and features on and print skin profiles out, I may have an application for it..
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

StevenQ-NE-UK

Feb 4, 2016, 6:46:29 PM2/4/16
to North East Makers
Thanks to everyone who showed an interest in the eBay printer. I managed to get the bed level and free up the x axis belt.

Ninjaflex did print but the lack of a layer cooling fan resulted in a melted infill. Once the cooling fan is fitted I think it will print ok.

Over the coming weeks I'd like us to push this printer so we can evaluate it's overall performance and value for money. Then we can decide once and for all if this is a good 'build along' kit

Thanks

Steve

Jon Davies

Feb 4, 2016, 7:17:59 PM2/4/16
to North East Makers

Sounds like there's nowt holding back this cheap '160' build printer.  Amazing :)