Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [Makers] Re: Home automation

Glen Beestone

Jan 7, 2017, 3:22:48 PM1/7/17
to north-east-makers
So I bought one of these and I've not done anything with Alexa with it yet but i'm having a weird problem.

I can use Zmote's web interface (is this coming from the device or external ? If external how is it able to reach my Zmote's through my firewall ?) To control my TV.

But if I load a control phone app such as the one
They recommend, Smart remote by Adidroid, it cannot find my zmote on my internal network.

When I query the zmote status using the web interface I get the following Info. (x's are redacted Info obviously)

xternal IP:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
local IP:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
state:online
chipID:CI0027xxxx
local:false
remote: true

Is it normal for "local" to be false ? Is that my issue, if so how do I change it.

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 24/12/2016, 20:54 Glen Beestone <gl...@technologist.com> wrote:
Thanks jay,

I'l give it ago

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 24/12/2016, 20:49 Jay S <maker...@jayuk.org> wrote:
I swapped mine with someone for some other bits.
But if you buy it from the tindie store you can use the code INSTRUCTABLES you get 15% off. Might work out cheaper.
I'm running HA bridge on the same pi as the one used for node red. My zmote is ran off a spare port of my other raspberry pi running kodi.
I don't know if a pizero would be powerful enough for node red as theres quite a bit going on.
You may be better off with something by friendlyarm with a bit more umpfh.
When ready, use Peter Scargills script from here to get it all going.

Jay

On Saturday, 24 December 2016 19:56:41 UTC, Glen wrote:
If node red needs to be always on and so does the zmote, then I'm thinking of making a base to sit the the zmote on that contains a PiZero and WiFi dongle (assuming it will run on a PiZero). Then I can run them both off the same supply

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 24/12/2016, 19:47 Glen Beestone <gl...@technologist.com> wrote:
Did you buy from their site or their eBay store ?

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 24/12/2016, 19:40 Glen Beestone <gl...@technologist.com> wrote:
Cool, i'm goung to get one. What do you run HA bridge on ?
Same server that is running node red (pi?)

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 24/12/2016, 19:19 Jay S <maker...@jayuk.org> wrote:
I did.
It works very well through their API. The web remote for it is rubbish. Haven't tried it with MQTT as it has to be reprogrammed to do this and it breaks other things.
I have it working with node red and my amazon echo via HA Bridge.

Jay

On Friday, 23 December 2016 15:42:35 UTC, Glen wrote:
Did you get one and have you had a chance to play with it yet Jay ?

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 15/12/2016, 20:45 Jay S <maker...@jayuk.org> wrote:
This was it

http://www.zmote.io/

If you wait until after Monday as I'm getting my hands on one and I will let you know if it's worth the money.

Jay

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 10:10:49 UTC, Glen wrote:
Jay,

what was that IR blaster unit you recommended to me last night

Cheers,

Glen

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jay S

Jan 7, 2017, 4:12:01 PM1/7/17
to North East Makers
I've just loaded up smart remote and it finds my device straight away. Never used it before though.
I use the http rest api to control my tv. At the moment, i only turn it on and off using alexa but at some point i want to play with setting up a skill to control everything by my voice.

How do you query via the web interface? I will query mine and see what it says.
As for the web app, I think it is querying internally for your device.

Glen Beestone

Jan 7, 2017, 4:21:13 PM1/7/17
to north-east-makers
You go to Http://app.zmote.io

I've just done it externally (I.e. through 3G with WiFi turned off ) so it must be doing it from their servers.

The first time you configure it must contact the mothership and register your external IP against the device Mac or something.

Click on your zmote in the list and then drop down the menu at the top right and select ZMOTE Info

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 07/01/2017, 21:13 Glen Beestone <gl...@technologist.com> wrote:
You go to H

Glen Beestone

Jan 7, 2017, 5:03:12 PM1/7/17
to north-east-makers
Ok I'm slightly further still forward with this my Wi-Fi router was playing silly buggers
it was responding to devices that were already connected but not letting new ones on. So the Zmote wasnt actually connected to my internal network. After a reboot of the router that's now sorted. I can ping the device and when I go to the web interface it now shows local = true.

However I still can't connect to it using the smart remote app. The scan shows "no external IR devices found"

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jay S

Jan 8, 2017, 2:34:49 PM1/8/17
to North East Makers
I can't see a zmote info on the web app.
Do you have node red up and running yet? I can give you a flow to play with.

Glen Beestone

Jan 8, 2017, 2:40:15 PM1/8/17
to north-east-makers
I've just set up a pi with node red this evening. Not got a clue what im doing with it tho.

I presume I have to also install npm ?
I found a thing that says I need to install node-red-contrib-alexa-home-skill (using npm)

Which i'm currently attempting

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Glen Beestone

Jan 8, 2017, 2:44:03 PM1/8/17
to north-east-makers
But I get a warning that npm does not support node.js v0.10.29

Does that mean I need to upgrade npm or node.js?

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Glen Beestone

Jan 8, 2017, 2:55:12 PM1/8/17
to north-east-makers
Btw I'm using rasp ian Jessie lite. (Because I needed it to fit on a 4GB SD card which full rasbian does not)

I've therefore had to install node-red because lite does not come with it pre-instalked unlike full raspian.

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jay S

Jan 8, 2017, 3:01:05 PM1/8/17
to North East Makers
I would do a fresh install and install node red etc using Pete Scargills script.
This will set up everything you need to support node red

Glen Beestone

Jan 8, 2017, 3:17:39 PM1/8/17
to north-east-makers
Ok thanks I'll give that a go

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Glen Beestone

Jan 8, 2017, 3:29:14 PM1/8/17
to north-east-makers
You did tell me this before Christmas :-)

I forgot :-/

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jay S

Jan 8, 2017, 3:41:51 PM1/8/17
to North East Makers
Thats ok.
Give me ashout when you're done

Glen Beestone

Jan 8, 2017, 4:22:39 PM1/8/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

new entry on Scargill's blog suggess this script has been superceded ?

Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 at 8:41 PM
From: "Jay S" <maker...@jayuk.org>
To: "North East Makers" <north-ea...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [Makers] Re: Home automation

David Pye

Jan 8, 2017, 4:24:24 PM1/8/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I think this thread title needs more Re.

Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 at 8:41 PM
From: "Jay S" <maker...@jayuk.org>
To: "North East Makers" <north-east-makers@googlegroups.com>

Glen Beestone

Jan 8, 2017, 4:25:22 PM1/8/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
i went looking for the original blog on the site in oder to find  a wget URL for the script you pointed me to, so i could pull the script sraight onto the Pi
but i got redirected to this newer blog

Glen

Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 at 9:22 PM
From: "Glen Beestone" <gl...@technologist.com>
To: north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Jon Davies

Jan 8, 2017, 4:27:03 PM1/8/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Oh dear, two threads, one topic.

Cheers,
Jon.

Jay S

Jan 8, 2017, 5:52:20 PM1/8/17
to North East Makers
I use mobaterm to connect to my pi.
Just use your browser to copy the text from the link I gave you into a .sh file and then transfer it to your pi.
Then chmod it and away you go.
The old script used to require lots of user input. The new one only requires it at the start. You can then walk away and come back an hour later

Glen Beestone

Jan 16, 2017, 6:59:09 AM1/16/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
now 3 threads and no "Re: Re: Re: Re:" ;-)

script is installed. what a ball ache. want through dozens of iterations. soem wouldn't instal at all. other would instal with errors. other wold appear to install but node red would not actaully run
guess what it just doens't seem work on RPI model A or B. only a 2 or 3

Anywahy ready to rock now

Glen

Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 at 9:26 PM
From: "Jon Davies" <jon.d...@gmail.com>