long overdue roundup

Glen Beestone

Aug 3, 2017, 12:29:56 PM8/3/17
to North East Makers

Hi All,

Just a bit of an update on what is going on at Makerspace as we’ve not had one for a while

At the moment we have a two small rooms on the 4th floor of Commercial union house. One quieter working area for computers, 3D printers and soldering etc, and another which is set up as a small workshop with hand tools and equipment storage. This has been a temporary arrangement while we are looking for bigger premises and unfortunately the lack of space has meant that much of our kit, including the larger tools, has been in storage during this time

We are pleased to announce that we have now secured a much larger space in the basement of the same building, and work is progressing to move into it

The previous occupants left us racks and rack of shelving which, while some of it had to be removed to make room for desks, is an absolute godsend for our storage needs.

Alistair , Iain, Jon and others and others have been dismantling and rearranging shelving for the new space

David did a great job of painting and sealing the floors over last weekend.

Glen put the hardware in for the door access system.

Alistair and Glen ran network cabling down to the basement

Everyone at welcome Wednesday last night lent a hand to move all our equipment into the new space from storage.

There’s still a great deal to be done in terms of setting up, getting electrics and network sorted etc. so we aren’t moving in there just jet. But we’ll announce here and on our website when we do.

Meanwhile here’s a small selection of other things our members are working on

Mark is building a 3D printer.

Jon and Iain are preparing for the micro drone racing event at Gateshead library Eday in October

Jon is revisiting his electric powered Longboard project.

Ed has also been modding his electric Longboar, putting snazzy microcontrolled LED strips under it.

Alistair is working on a touch controlled informantion  panel for the space, which could show local public transport times and double as a controller for the space’s music system

Stuart is experimenting with LORA packet radio IoT modules

David B is working on a barn conversion ( large scale making!)

Glen has built an “Ambilight” type system onto his TV

David P is working on the access control system for the new space and plugging away at the Mill CNC conversion

Jonathan is experimenting with Microbit and add on modules

Iain is working on a secret project… :-)