I have been playing with the window LED display, fun things happened :)

Greg Fenton

May 22, 2015, 2:38:30 PM5/22/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi all (again)

For those that don't know, I have been playing with the LED sign in the window, using a bluetooth dongle and a Pi to send messages.
I have taken it a few steps further.
Iteration 1: Get a Pi talking to it from bash
Iteration 2: Update the sign using a cron job (scheduled task for those who like Microsoft terminology)
Iteration 3: Have a web frontend that you can send messages from

Inline images 1

The frontend is not accessible remotely, only from someone logged into the internal network.

Currently it is showing the first chapter of "War Of The Worlds" by H G Wells. You know, because it can.

That should keep the car park attendants confused for a while :)

The frontend is available at http:/172.18.16.10:8000 (the media player's IP).

Please, please, please nothing inappropriate on the sign!

Greg

Chris B

May 24, 2015, 5:56:12 AM5/24/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Good job Greg :)

Alistair MacDonald

May 25, 2015, 6:14:01 AM5/25/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Good job indeed. Would we be interested in including any dynamic information? Weather forecast or news for example. I have most of the code from other projects so should be sable to create a feed quickly.

  Alistair

On 24 May 2015 10:56 am, "Chris B" <hnc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good job Greg :)

Jon Davies

May 25, 2015, 6:15:30 AM5/25/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Coded by hand? You used your hands? Pfft :)

Anyway, nice work!

I like the scheduled bit a lot. Hopefully people will be more informed about our various activities as a result.

Greg Fenton

May 25, 2015, 3:10:08 PM5/25/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

I quite like the sound of dynamic updating, maybe we could rent the sign to next-door when they have events on?

Iain Yarnall

May 26, 2015, 4:36:56 PM5/26/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I've just tried the web front end and all I get is a blank page and a 500 error.

:(

Is there a service I can check the status of??

Cheers,

Iain.

Greg Fenton

May 26, 2015, 4:41:16 PM5/26/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Strange, maybe try a quick reboot of the pi?

Greg

Iain Yarnall

May 26, 2015, 4:48:07 PM5/26/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Just as I was enjoying the music!!

;)

Iain Yarnall

May 26, 2015, 4:55:10 PM5/26/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Sadly, no improvement after a reboot.

Cheers,

Iain.

Greg Fenton

May 26, 2015, 4:57:27 PM5/26/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I'll pop in and beat it with a blunt instrument :p

Greg

Greg Fenton

May 26, 2015, 5:07:58 PM5/26/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I have uploaded a new version of the webpage to my server, it should have grabbed it by now.

Just a missing bracket :P

Jon Davies

May 26, 2015, 8:30:35 PM5/26/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Gurr those pesky bracketses!!! Close second to semi-colonseses!!1!
:)

Alistair MacDonald

May 27, 2015, 12:21:39 PM5/27/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Another bigger probblem is that it is completly out of storag space on
the SD card. This might explain why it crashed when I tried to turn
the volume down and why it has been refusing to start half the time. I
am now trying to remove packages that are not needed inclusing X
windows, cups, git, etc without accidentally removing ones that are
needed.

Alistair

Alistair MacDonald

May 27, 2015, 2:26:49 PM5/27/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
We have freed 13%. Not much, but enough. Some things might still be
broken but it plays music, updates the web site, andupdates the sign.
We can fire figth anthing else. Also there is an error in one of the
service files that we should perhaps fix at some point.

The radio clock is broken now but I have taken it off as the Internet
connecting is reliable now.

Alistair

On 27 May 2015 at 17:20, Alistair MacDonald

Greg Fenton

May 27, 2015, 2:45:54 PM5/27/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I'll drop in one of my 8 or 16GB SD cards and duplicate the existing one, no point struggling for the sake of something I lose to the hoover on a regular basis anyway :P

Greg

I'd have been in tonight but I have a massive headache.

David Pye

May 27, 2015, 3:46:09 PM5/27/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

I wanted to click Like on this but there wasn't a button....

Alistair MacDonald

May 28, 2015, 1:59:17 AM5/28/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

You like Greg having a headache? You can go off some people you know. :-P

We should also take another backup image at the same time. Unfortunately taking the card out is a lot easer said than done so it has not been done for an age.

  Alistair