proposed changes - libxml2 bundling - request for comments

Mike Dalessio

Jan 13, 2015, 12:45:28 PM1/13/15
to nokogiri-talk
(BCC nokogiri-core)

Hi all,

This is a request for comments.

I've published a proposal for changes to Nokogiri's behavior with respect to the bundled libxml2 libraries:

The TL;DR is that I'm proposing to use bundled libraries (libxml2 et al) ONLY when we know it's better than the system-installed library, so that system administrator can upgrade their system libraries, e.g. when a vulnerability is announced, without individual apps having to upgrade Nokogiri.

I'd love to get feedback and comments on this proposal. Please read it at the link above, and comment on the issue if you have some constructive criticism, alternative ideas, or see any holes in the plan.

Thanks, as always, for using Nokogiri.
-mike

Wayne Brisette

Jan 13, 2015, 1:11:51 PM1/13/15
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
This really goes outside of Nokogiri, but since I'm only on two XML specific lists and Nokogiri is one of them. I'm wondering about the libxml2 library in general. That's XSLT 1.0 compatible, in another list I'm on Michael Kay said he didn't think anybody else really understood XLST 2.0 or upcoming 3.0 well enough or had enough time to ever make libraries that could be used. These current libraries have been around a while and every scripting language outside of native XML are using them to parse documents.

I'm wondering if anybody has heard of anybody outside of Michael writing libraries, or attempting to write libraries, that support XSLT 2.0 or 3.0. Or is 1.0 good enough for most people?

- Wayne