Manifest.txt contents question

Stephen Crosby

Jan 23, 2018, 4:17:33 PM1/23/18
to nokogiri-talk
Is there a good reason to ship the nokogiri gem with all its test files and various other files beyond the ones which may be needed at runtime? I'm trimming the fat off one of my docker images and noticing that we could trim a few megabytes here by cutting down on files that don't necessarily need to be part of the distribution. I'm taking my queue from rails which ships only a handful of files with their gems. See https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/v5.1.4/activesupport/activesupport.gemspec#L18. Is there interest in a pull request that cuts down that Manifest.txt file to remove basically everything except ['README.md', 'bin', 'lib', 'ext', 'LICENSE.md', 'LICENSE-DEPENDENCIES.md'] ? Is anything else needed in the release?

Mike Dalessio

Jan 23, 2018, 4:20:02 PM1/23/18
to nokogiri-talk
Hi,

Thanks for asking this question.

My personal take is that it's good to provide tests so that someone can know easily if their installation of Nokogiri is working on their platform. Occasionally this has been useful, particularly when using an old version of libxml2 (from the system, not from the vendored version).

That said, I don't feel particularly strongly about it, and would be interested in what users have to say about it. Could you open a Github Issue suggesting this change and inviting people to comment?

Stephen Crosby