libxml2 is missing when trying to install 1.6.6.2, but I'm not using system libraries

Dan Wendorf

Oct 1, 2015, 11:34:56 PM10/1/15
to nokogiri-talk
Hi,

I'm trying to `\sudo gem install nokogiri -v '1.6.6.2'` using system ruby on OS X 10.11 (though I also had this issue on 10.10) and get everyone's favorite "libxml2 is missing." error, though my output (see console.txt:8) shows "Building nokogiri using packaged libraries."

I've followed the installation instructions (and have successfully installed 1.6.3.1, 1.5.11, 1.5.10, and 1.5.6 on system ruby), but am still having this error. I have attached my mkmf.log and console output (console.txt). Any ideas what could be going on here?

Thanks,
Dan Wendorf
mkmf.log
console.txt

Mike Dalessio

Oct 2, 2015, 3:52:45 PM10/2/15
to nokogiri-talk
Hi Dan,

Just to make sure we have a baseline, I'd like to confirm that when you say "installation instructions" that you followed the instructions for OSX at http://www.nokogiri.org/tutorials/installing_nokogiri.html ?

If so, that's great and we can eliminate a bunch of possible causes. If not, please do and then we can continue from there?

We'll also need to know what version of ruby you're running, along with the full mkmf.log file and everything that's emitted to stdout/stderr during installation.

Dan Wendorf

Oct 3, 2015, 10:17:46 PM10/3/15
to nokogiri-talk
Yep, I've followed the instructions on that page, and I'm running system ruby for OS X 10.11 (ruby 2.0.0p645), though this has also occurred for me for system ruby on OS X 10.10 (though I don't know which patch that is off the top of my head).

Other than the attachments I gave of mkmf.log and my console output as console.txt, what other output do you need specifically?

r...@rosenfeld.to

Oct 6, 2015, 7:05:47 AM10/6/15
to nokogiri-talk
FWIW, I have the same symptoms.   Installation of nokogiri fails complaining that "libxml2 is missing" when using the packaged libraries on OS X 10.11.