An error occurred while installing nokogiri (1.6.5), and Bundler cannot continue

g.p...@web.de

Jan 22, 2015, 10:57:07 AM1/22/15
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
Hallo,

I want to install nokogiri, because I need it to install vagrant-vbguest on OSX.

So far I did:

$ vagrant plugin install vagrant-vbguest

Installing the 'vagrant-vbguest' plugin. This can take a few minutes...

Bundler, the underlying system Vagrant uses to install plugins,

reported an error. The error is shown below. These errors are usually

caused by misconfigured plugin installations or transient network

issues. The error from Bundler is:

An error occurred while installing nokogiri (1.6.5), and Bundler cannot continue.

Make sure that `gem install nokogiri -v '1.6.5'` succeeds before bundling.

Then I did: sudo gem install nokogiri
As output I always get:

Fetching: mini_portile-0.6.2.gem (100%)

Successfully installed mini_portile-0.6.2

Fetching: nokogiri-1.6.5.gem (100%)

Building native extensions.  This could take a while...

Successfully installed nokogiri-1.6.5

Parsing documentation for mini_portile-0.6.2

Installing ri documentation for mini_portile-0.6.2

Parsing documentation for nokogiri-1.6.5

unable to convert "\xCA" from ASCII-8BIT to UTF-8 for lib/nokogiri/nokogiri.bundle, skipping

Installing ri documentation for nokogiri-1.6.5

2 gems installed

I have also tried:

$ gem install nokogiri -v '1.6.5'

Fetching: nokogiri-1.6.5.gem (100%)

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError)

    You don't have write permissions for the /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0 directory.

developer@ReferenceMacbook-9:/Volumes/Secured/mondocloud-vm$ sudo gem install nokogiri -v '1.6.5'

Building native extensions.  This could take a while...

Successfully installed nokogiri-1.6.5

Parsing documentation for nokogiri-1.6.5

unable to convert "\xCA" from ASCII-8BIT to UTF-8 for lib/nokogiri/nokogiri.bundle, skipping

1 gem installed

Do you have an idea what I can do?

Hassan Schroeder

Jan 22, 2015, 11:50:00 AM1/22/15
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 7:57 AM, <g.p...@web.de> wrote:

> I want to install nokogiri, because I need it to install vagrant-vbguest on
> OSX.

And apparently you did, as shown below:

> Then I did: sudo gem install nokogiri
> As output I always get:
|
> Successfully installed nokogiri-1.6.5
|
> 2 gems installed

> Do you have an idea what I can do?

About what?

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder

Ryan Johnston

Feb 2, 2015, 3:26:03 PM2/2/15
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
I think this person is experiencing a similar issue to mine. The vagrant plugin install still fails due to the bundler throwing an error about nokogiri:

This is the error I get as well (on Mac Yosemite):

"An error occurred while installing nokogiri (1.6.5), and Bundler cannot continue.

Make sure that `gem install nokogiri -v '1.6.5'` succeeds before bundling."

After installing the gem, running "$ vagrant plugin install vagrant-vbguest", results in the same bundler error.

Hassan Schroeder

Feb 2, 2015, 5:55:09 PM2/2/15
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Ryan Johnston <ryanjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this person is experiencing a similar issue to mine. The vagrant
> plugin install still fails due to the bundler throwing an error about
> nokogiri:
>
> This is the error I get as well (on Mac Yosemite):
>
> "An error occurred while installing nokogiri (1.6.5), and Bundler cannot
> continue.
>
> Make sure that `gem install nokogiri -v '1.6.5'` succeeds before bundling."
>
> After installing the gem, running "$ vagrant plugin install
> vagrant-vbguest", results in the same bundler error.

I don't recall any problems like this on either Maverick's or Yosemite,
but -- on my system(s) /usr/bin/vagrant is a bash script that indicates
vagrant is using its own gemset, at /opt/vagrant/embedded/gems.

So depending on your environment, I can imagine how you could
install nokogiri "successfully" but it wouldn't be visible to vagrant.
Maybe :-)

Perhaps you could try installing nokogiri with explicit directions for
GEM_HOME that matched vagrant's setting?

FWIW,
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan

Ryan Johnston

Feb 3, 2015, 3:06:36 PM2/3/15
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
it appears it was a Vagrant issue. The problem was fixed by installing the latest version of Vagrant. Version 1.7.2.

Thank you for your help