Install Nokogiri 1.5.9 on a Debian Jessie

Pozzi JP

Nov 5, 2015, 1:19:22 PM11/5/15
to nokogiri-talk
Hello,

I upgrade a server from Wheezy to Jessie and I can't have Nokogiri to build with the following command :

gem install nokogiri -v '1.5.9'

which gives some messages (file gem_make.out) :

/usr/bin/ruby1.9.1 extconf.rb
checking for libxml/parser.h... no
-----
libxml2 is missing.  please visit http://nokogiri.org/tutorials/installing_nokogiri.html for help with installing dependencies.

I need that specific version for running "Snorby".

Regards

JPP

Mike Dalessio

Nov 6, 2015, 8:50:59 AM11/6/15
to nokogiri-talk
Nokogiri 1.5.9 is two and a half years old, so you should upgrade or request that the author of your dependency upgrades.

I'm looking at snorby's Gemfile and don't see an explicit dependency there, but it is in the Gemfile.lock. You should `bundle update nokogiri` and see if it Just Works™.

If that doesn't work, Nokogiri 1.5.9 requires that you have libxml2 and libxslt pre-installed on your system. Do you have these installed?

Check out the docs in this section of the tutorial:

Good luck!

-mike

jp.p...@izzop.net

Nov 7, 2015, 9:24:09 AM11/7/15
to nokogi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have the required dev files loaded, as I used them when installing
Snorby.
I try to use the same "tricks" than before (using --with-xml2....) but
it does not work any more ???
I try to install "manually" Nokogiri without giving any version and the
1.6.6.2 version installs fine, but the "bundle update" or "bundle
install" in Snorby directory wants always version 1.5.9.
So I try to update the "Gemfile.lock" file replacing 1.5.9 by 1.6.6.2
and the bundle operations went successfuly to end ... and Snorby starts
now without angry messages and works fine.

Regards and many thanks for your help

JPP