NowJs on Nodester

game_flash

Mar 12, 2012, 6:43:31 PM3/12/12
to nodester
Hi,
I am trying to get the NowJs Hello World example running on Nodester.
https://github.com/Flotype/now/tree/master/examples/helloworld_example

I have successfully installed NowJs on Nodester ...
npm install now

Note that I was getting a 503 error and saw some errors in the logs.
So I had to manually install socket.io-client since the version on
Nodester is out of sync.
npm install socket.io-client

Now I no longer get those errors, however I am having an issue with
helloworld.html and it's include
/nowjs/now.js

The file, /nowjs/now.js, has the contents of helloworld.html instead
of the javascript that should be in there.

Thanks for any help on this one!

Chris Matthieu

Mar 12, 2012, 7:10:47 PM3/12/12
to node...@googlegroups.com
Did you remember to set your websocket port to 80 on the client?

-Chris

game_flash

Mar 12, 2012, 9:38:54 PM3/12/12
to nodester
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Since nowjs creates now.js file automatically I'm not sure how to do
that.  Here is a link to the source code ( a few lines only )

https://github.com/Flotype/now/tree/master/examples/helloworld_example

For the server.js I changed port to my nodester assigned port ( not
80 ), but I'm not sure how to set the client to 80.

Also how would that fix this specific issue?

On Mar 12, 7:10 pm, Chris Matthieu <ch...@matthieu.us> wrote:
> Did you remember to set your websocket port to 80 on the client?http://blog.nodester.com/post/3634535277/running-websockets-on-nodester
>
> -Chris

game_flash

Mar 19, 2012, 6:18:33 PM3/19/12
to nodester
Hi,
I didn't receive a response on this and haven't resolved my issue.
While investigating the issue I did notice that many links to examples
of nowjs running on nodester that used to work are now showing 503
errors.

Is nodester incompatible now with nowjs?

Kevin Isom

Mar 19, 2012, 6:30:56 PM3/19/12
to node...@googlegroups.com
Currently the 503 errors are due to some server upgrades that Nodester
are doing. Hopefully regular service should resume shortly.
As for Now.js. Just looking now I would assume that you need to
include the https://github.com/Flotype/now/tree/master/lib/client
now.js file.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Kev

game_flash

Mar 19, 2012, 7:32:46 PM3/19/12
to nodester
Thanks Kevin.
Any idea when service will be restored?

Have you had success getting nowjs working with nodester?

On Mar 19, 6:30 pm, Kevin Isom <kevin.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently the 503 errors are due to some server upgrades that Nodester
> are doing. Hopefully regular service should resume shortly.
> As for Now.js. Just looking now I would assume that you need to
> include thehttps://github.com/Flotype/now/tree/master/lib/client

Chris Matthieu

Mar 19, 2012, 7:33:56 PM3/19/12
to node...@googlegroups.com
Nodester services have now been restored.

-Chris

game_flash

Mar 19, 2012, 7:55:41 PM3/19/12
to nodester
Thanks Chris,

My app, bigapple, is still 503ing.
I see that some others are too (below)

http://bigapple.nodester.com/

http://chat.nodester.com/chat.html

http://chats.nodester.com/

On Mar 19, 7:33 pm, Chris Matthieu <ch...@matthieu.us> wrote:
> Nodester services have now been restored.
>
> -Chris

Kevin Isom

Mar 19, 2012, 7:56:54 PM3/19/12
to node...@googlegroups.com
I found that calling restart from the command line app worked to start an app up
cheers
Kev

game_flash

Mar 19, 2012, 8:27:57 PM3/19/12
to nodester
Thanks Kev.
I tried that in the admin panel, but it says status = failure and
there's nothing in the logs.

game_flash

Mar 20, 2012, 11:07:43 AM3/20/12
to nodester
Thanks for your help with this.
503 is gone, but now I'm seeing this in the logs ...
Error: Cannot find module 'node-proxy'

It looks like node-waf is missing

How do I install node-waf on nodester?

Chris Matthieu

Mar 20, 2012, 11:21:13 AM3/20/12
to node...@googlegroups.com
Cool!  Are any of your modules native binaries?

-Chris

game_flash

Mar 20, 2012, 11:27:12 AM3/20/12
to nodester
I'm just trying to get nowjs hello world working.
I see this in the logs ...
Error: Cannot find module 'node-proxy'

While googling around I came across the potential node-waf issue

On Mar 20, 11:21 am, Chris Matthieu <ch...@matthieu.us> wrote:
> Cool!  Are any of your modules native binaries?
>
> -Chris

Chris Matthieu

Mar 20, 2012, 11:39:37 AM3/20/12
to node...@googlegroups.com

game_flash

Mar 20, 2012, 12:02:19 PM3/20/12
to nodester
I don't know the correct location for node-proxy relative to nowjs and
node-modules

On Mar 20, 11:39 am, Chris Matthieu <ch...@matthieu.us> wrote:
> Does this post help?https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/nowjs/fzQPsl7icoY/SlWwrX9-lu4J
>
> -Chris

game_flash

Mar 20, 2012, 12:21:42 PM3/20/12
to nodester
I tried moving node-proxy into a diff location
Now I'm getting this error ...

Error: /app/node_modules/now/node_modules/node-proxy/lib/node-
proxy.node: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

deradam

Jun 7, 2012, 4:01:49 PM6/7/12
to node...@googlegroups.com
Any news on this issue? I am also using Nowjs but cannot deploy my app to nodester :(

Error message is:

odester npm http 304 https://registry.npmjs.org/node-proxy
nodester node.js:134
nodester         throw e; // process.nextTick error, or 'error' event on first tick
nodester         ^
nodester Error: Cannot find module '../package'
nodester     at Function._resolveFilename (module.js:317:11)
nodester     at Function._load (module.js:262:25)
nodester     at require (module.js:346:19)
nodester     at Object.<anonymous> (/node/base/node-v0.4.9/usr/local/n/versions/0.6.17/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/node-gyp.js:68:17)
nodester     at Module._compile (module.js:402:26)
nodester     at Object..js (module.js:408:10)
nodester     at Module.load (module.js:334:31)
nodester     at Function._load (module.js:293:12)
nodester     at require (module.js:346:19)
nodester     at Object.<anonymous> (/node/base/node-v0.4.9/usr/local/n/versions/0.6.17/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js:13:11)
nodester npm ERR! node-...@0.6.0 install: `node-gyp configure build`
nodester npm ERR! `sh "-c" "node-gyp configure build"` failed with 1
nodest

Alejandro Morales Gámez

Jun 8, 2012, 11:46:48 AM6/8/12
to node...@googlegroups.com
We really sorry, but I don't understand why node-gyp is failing not only with now.js also with other dependencies that needs this tool. I'll try to understand what's happening  and maybe we can find a fix.

holonx2

Jun 29, 2012, 4:48:31 PM6/29/12
to node...@googlegroups.com
I just posted on this topic, before I found this out - I don't know a lot about this because it is new to me, but it appears that node-proxy requires a compiled component - perhaps this is why it isn't working? To get it working on Windows I had to download and manually install a version with a pre-compiled component (as an alternative to installing some Microsoft compiler suite)...