What is mkpeephole? How to build nodejs without it?

Aleksej Spenst

Jul 4, 2017, 1:52:09 PM7/4/17
to nodejs
Hi All,

could someone please give more information on what this mkpeephole does and for what purposes it's used in nodejs?

I have one problem with mkpeephole when compiling nodejs v8.1.1. I found the workaround for this problem, but it does not look nice. So, I'm wondering whether I can somehow compile nodejs without mkpeephole to skip this workaround, but I don't know how to do it (there is no something like --without-mkpeephole for configure script) and I don't know what mkpeephole really does (maybe I do need it?). Thanks for any tips.

The problem during compilation:

/bin/sh: 1: /home/root/nodejs/8.1.1-r0/node-v8.1.1/out/Release/mkpeephole: not found

make[1]: *** [/home/root/nodejs/8.1.1-r0/node-v8.1.1/out/Release/obj.target/v8_base/geni/bytecode-peephole-table.cc] Error 127

The workaround for this problem is to copy the binary "mkpeephole" on the embedded device (for which I build nodejs) and run on the device:

# mkpeephole bytecode-peephole-table.cc

The generated file bytecode-peephole-table.cc is then copied from the device into the folder .../out/Release/obj.target/v8_base/geni on the build server.

The execution of mkpeephole can be disabled in the file: .../out/deps/v8/src/v8_base.target.mk (delete the command that starts with $(builddir)/mkpeephole).

After these steps the compilation works. Questions:

1). What information does the generated file bytecode-peephole-table.cc contain?

2). Is it enough to generate this file one time on the external device or it must be done each time I build nodejs? In other words, do I have to re-build nodejs (with generating new bytecode-peephole-table.cc) each time when I build new SW for my embedded device?

Thank you!

Aleksej.

Aleksej Spenst

Jul 20, 2017, 2:31:22 PM7/20/17
to nodejs
Hi,

nobody knows what mkpeephole is???

Do I need to generate bytecode-peephole-table.cc on my embedded device or on my build system??

Thanks,
Aleksej.