Reporting security concerns

Ritchie

Apr 23, 2014, 10:47:55 PM4/23/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Folks.

Who would be the best person with whom to discuss a security concern with Node privately?

Thanks
Ritchie

Brandon Moser

Apr 24, 2014, 1:38:47 AM4/24/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ritchie,

Check out https://nodesecurity.io/. They work with the Node team directly and have a link to submit a vulnerability.

Brandon

--
Brandon Moser

Floby

Apr 24, 2014, 4:15:46 AM4/24/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
This is a rather odd request. I'm not qualified with security matters in node, but I'm also of the opinion that security isn't secrecy. If there is a security concern with node itself, then it's probably best for the whole community to know.
If there is a potential security concern in your own context (using node, i presume) then it seems to me that you're looking for node.js consulting. Therefore, it should be a job offer. Am I getting this wrong ?

Florent

Ritchie Young

Apr 24, 2014, 5:04:13 AM4/24/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Florent.

Thanks for the response and yes, you're getting it wrong :)

Of course, it would be best for the whole community to know but I'm wondering if it's possible to give those people who have obviously been affected a heads-up first - probably not.

I've promised one other party that I'll wait a week before describing the issue publicly but I'd be happy to describe it to one of the core team members in the mean-time.

Apologies for the cloak-and-dagger act but I haven't been in this situation before and I'm just trying to handle it responsibly.

Cheers
Ritchie

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "nodejs" group.

Dan Shaw

Apr 24, 2014, 5:18:12 AM4/24/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
You're looking for TJ Fontaine <tjfon...@gmail.com>.

Direct your security concern to secu...@nodejs.org.

Daniel Shaw
@dshaw

Ryan Schmidt

Apr 24, 2014, 6:30:56 AM4/24/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 24, 2014, at 03:15, Floby wrote:

> This is a rather odd request. I'm not qualified with security matters in node, but I'm also of the opinion that security isn't secrecy. If there is a security concern with node itself, then it's probably best for the whole community to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsible_disclosure

Ritchie Young

Apr 24, 2014, 8:54:05 AM4/24/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic.

Thanks, Dan.

Peter Rust

Apr 24, 2014, 9:32:31 AM4/24/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
> I'm also of the opinion that security isn't secrecy. If there is a security concern with node itself,
> then it's probably best for the whole community to know

To quote isaacs re: a similar security concern:

> A few weeks ago, Matthew Daley found a security vulnerability in Node's HTTP implementation,
> and thankfully did the responsible thing and reported it to us via email.
> The innocuous commit message does not give away the security implications,
> precisely because we wanted to get a fix out before making a big deal about it.
> I'm extremely grateful that Matthew took the time to report the problem
> ... in such a way that we had a reasonable amount of time to fix the issue before making it public.

-- peter