Building node.js with newer version of V8

georgio...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2016, 6:38:58 PM9/2/16
to nodejs
Hello all!
I would like to ask if it is possible/ advisable to build node.js with a newer version of v8. I noticed that the current version of v8 used in node is 5.1.xx while I need to use 5.3.xx onwards.
I am working on profiling jitted code with perf. At a first glance I didn't see any changes related to perf between the v8 versions mentioned above, however I can't get any meaningful output with earlier versions of v8.
I briefly tried manually replacing the v8 sources in the dependencies and tweaking the build scripts but unfortunately it wasn't as simple as that. Is it meant to be that way or is there somewhere a documented process of updating the v8 version?
If not, may I ask if there are any plans for such an update in the near future?
Thank you very much and best regards,
Georgios

Ben Noordhuis

Sep 3, 2016, 9:45:23 AM9/3/16