Install node JS on VPS - help!

Kristofer Tryggvason

Sep 4, 2015, 9:31:39 AM9/4/15
to nodejs

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Node JS on my VPS. I've successfully got it running locally but I can't for the life of me getting working externally.

My VPS is running Plesk, I'm the root user, and I tried to set it up following this tutorial via Putty.

For some reason node is not available on the command line, and which node says no node found.

I'm quite inexperienced with command line in general, was wondering if anyone here could give a leg up working out what I've done wrong.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Aria Stewart

Sep 4, 2015, 9:34:05 AM9/4/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 4, 2015, at 5:45 AM, Kristofer Tryggvason <kris...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Node JS on my VPS. I've successfully got it running locally but I can't for the life of me getting working externally.

My VPS is running Plesk, I'm the root user, and I tried to set it up following this tutorial via Putty.

What OS is this running on? It may be that there's simpler and better ways -- both RPM-based and Debian-derived distros can use the nodesource repos, and there's nvm and n.

Aria

boby rahmawan

Sep 4, 2015, 12:26:54 PM9/4/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Are u install node with root user?

--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Ryan Schmidt

Sep 6, 2015, 12:15:37 AM9/6/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 4, 2015, at 4:45 AM, Kristofer Tryggvason wrote:

> I'm trying to setup Node JS on my VPS. I've successfully got it running locally but I can't for the life of me getting working externally.
>
> My VPS is running Plesk, I'm the root user, and I tried to set it up following this tutorial via Putty.
>
> For some reason node is not available on the command line, and which node says no node found.

That either means that 1) you did not install node -- show us a directory listing of the directory where you think you installed node; or 2) your PATH environment variable is not configured to look for programs in that directory -- show us what your PATH environment variable is set to.