Re: [nodejs] How to for beginners

Billy Cravens

Oct 2, 2012, 12:07:33 AM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
The recently released Smashing Node.js by Guillermo Rauch (author Socket.io and other modules, CTO of Learn Boost) is good, and has very good info on JavaScript as a first class programming language. (Some of the author books I've read seem to assume you're knowledgeable from working with JS in the browser via DOM or jQuery, and don't always address best practices). I'd pair with Crockford's Javascript: The Good Parts and/or Eloquent JavaScript.

Billy Cravens

On Sep 30, 2012, at 8:04 AM, Ismael Gorissen <ismael....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I'll start with Node.js and JavaScript and I'd like some links, name of books to buy and read. I especially would like to understand the use of callbacks and asynchronous functions.

Thank you and sorry for my english :)

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Ismael Gorissen

Oct 2, 2012, 3:43:32 AM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
What do you think about these books "Hands-on Node.js" and "The Node Beginner book" ?

Jeff Barczewski

Oct 2, 2012, 12:51:18 PM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
When I was learning I looked at both of those, so whatever helps you understand the concepts (each author is different).

Of the two, Hands-on Node.js goes into more topics with 147 pages and I had found to be easy to read and understand. Of the ebooks I had read, I liked Hands-on Node.js the best.

 - Hands-on Node.js - 147 pages - http://nodetuts.com/handson-nodejs-book.html
 - Node Beginner book - 63 pages - http://www.nodebeginner.org/

And like Silviu mentioned, some things evolved in the node.js API and installation, but the concepts are all still relevant, and if something doesn't work, just check the node docs for the specific details on an API.

A couple other resources I have come across:

 - http://book.mixu.net/ - 81 pages
 - http://nodeguide.com/beginner.html - Felix Geisendörfer's beginner intro
 - http://visionmedia.github.com/masteringnode/ - 21 pages, many sections not completed yet
 - http://devashish.co.in/tag/nodejs/ - various tutorials
 - http://justjs.com/ - tutorials

PS. Smashing Node.js looks like it covers a nice set of topics from the TOC and preview pages on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Smashing-Node-js-JavaScript-Everywhere-Magazine/dp/1119962595/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

After you try some of these resources out, you should post your thoughts back here to this thread for others to benefit from. It would be nice to have some recent comments from a beginner on what areas were difficult to understand, which books seemed to explain it the best, etc.

All the best,

Jeff

Tim Caswell

Oct 2, 2012, 1:06:32 PM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
While it's not super organized and some of the content it quite old,
http://howtonode.org/ has some popular content in it. I use the
object-graph series heavily when I'm doing my programming classes.
Also http://nodebits.org/ is another site I work on that is inspiring
examples. Not exactly teaching programming, but more for making
programming fun (which helps aid learning).