make / rebuilding node 7.0 frequently

Ed Hemphill

Mar 7, 2012, 1:44:48 AM3/7/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I am doing some customization of the inner workings of node.js, and am rebuilding the tree frequently.

However, I am not that familiar with gyp system - and every time I modify something (for instance a small change in node.cc) I get a complete rebuild of the dependencies. Needless to say this slows down testing of code.

Could someone tell me how to avoid this, or point me in the right direction in terms of documentation?

thanks,
Ed

Ilya Dmitrichenko

Mar 7, 2012, 3:24:18 AM3/7/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com

What command do you issue for rebuilding? Is it just `make` in the
toplevel directory or in a subdirectory?

Ben Noordhuis

Mar 7, 2012, 8:20:24 AM3/7/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com

`make -C out BUILDTYPE=Release` (or Debug) does an incremental build
unless you've touched the *.gyp or *.gypi files.

Check for clock skew issues if you keep getting whole tree rebuilds.
GNU make usually but not always warns about it ("timestamp in future",
that kind of thing). `rm -rf out` and running configure again has a
high probability of fixing that.

Ed Hemphill

Mar 7, 2012, 2:01:27 PM3/7/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much. Yes I was just issuing make in the top level.

Ben: I just tried 'make -C out BUILDTYPE=Release' and that's not doing it either. Still seeing a rebuild of the deps. I'll try a new tree also.
I have no clock skew issues on other projects, and they are on the same fs.

Any other ideas?

-Ed

Janon

Apr 12, 2012, 6:50:24 AM4/12/12
to nodejs
HI I am facing too the same issue. Have you manage to resolve this
issue?
I have noticed it seems to be missing all.deps which trigger whole
build process

Thanks

Ben Noordhuis

Apr 12, 2012, 7:05:57 AM4/12/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:50, Janon <habib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI I am facing too the same issue. Have you manage to resolve this
> issue?
> I have noticed it seems to be missing all.deps which trigger whole
> build process

This should be fixed as of last night.

Habib Virji

Apr 16, 2012, 8:40:08 AM4/16/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ben, I had a look and dependency error warning is gone but it still triggers the build all the time.

Is it due to making node build in different directory. What triggers openssl, node, v8 and uv build?

Ben Noordhuis

Apr 16, 2012, 8:55:41 AM4/16/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 14:40, Habib Virji <habib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ben, I had a look and dependency error warning is gone but it still
> triggers the build all the time.
>
> Is it due to making node build in different directory. What triggers
> openssl, node, v8 and uv build?

I fixed an ARG_MAX bug in gyp that introduced a regression where it
kept rebuilding the tree (which I didn't notice because I usually
build with `make -C out`, mea culpa). Isaac then fixed that in
04271a5[1].

If gyp keeps rebuilding and a fresh clone doesn't make the problem go
away, please open an issue.

[1] https://github.com/joyent/node/commit/04271a5

Habib Virji

Apr 16, 2012, 12:47:34 PM4/16/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Issue still persist.

I suppose it is general make issue. It fails to create all.deps file and that's reason build is getting triggered all the time.

There are multiple reasons it could fail
1. path is too long: Make it relative path and not a absolute path
2. all.deps is becoming a huge file due to all dependencies included in it.

Ben Noordhuis

Apr 16, 2012, 2:58:10 PM4/16/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 18:47, Habib Virji <habib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Issue still persist.
>
> I suppose it is general make issue. It fails to create all.deps file and
> that's reason build is getting triggered all the time.
>
> There are multiple reasons it could fail
> 1. path is too long: Make it relative path and not a absolute path
> 2. all.deps is becoming a huge file due to all dependencies included in it.

Okay, can you file a bug report in the issue tracker? Please include
the output of the following commands:

* make V=1
* uname -a
* getconf ARG_MAX
* getconf PATH_MAX /path/to/repo

Habib Virji

Apr 30, 2012, 1:52:28 PM4/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben

I have submitted patch for static build few days back. Just wanted to check will it be considered in node main build

Regards
Habib

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Ben Noordhuis

Apr 30, 2012, 5:19:41 PM4/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 19:52, Habib Virji <habib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have submitted patch for static build few days back. Just wanted to check
> will it be considered in node main build

I'm trying to catch up on the pull requests queue. We're working
toward a v0.8 release (i.e. trying to stabilize the source tree) but
small changes can still go in. I hope to get to it sometime this week.