Node.Js Hosting

Wayne Bruton

Apr 24, 2018, 12:05:47 AM4/24/18
to nodejs
Hi Guys,

Any reliable alternatives to Heroku? Heroku is awesome but expensive.

Kind Regards

Wayne

Mikkel Wilson

Apr 26, 2018, 10:30:57 AM4/26/18
to nodejs
This depends on your level of linux knowledge or system administration skills, but in the past I've used:

Which lets you choose a region to host your stuff. Helpful for latency and legal requirements around data capture.

Also a reliable and inexpensive place to hose linux VMs.

I'll add this to the list for completeness, but please don't give your money to this elephant killing asshole CEO.

AWS - specifically Lambda: https://aws.amazon.com/lambda/
Lambda is probably the best thing going in terms of cost effectiveness. You only pay for the computations seconds you use, and requests that are fast enough (I've forgotten the threshold; maybe 200ms?) are free. There are companies serving millions of requests a day for < $200US. This wasn't really an option until a few weeks ago when they pushed an update that allows for the current node.js LTS version (8.10) to run in lambdas. Now, port all the things!

HTH,
Mikkel

Jeremy Darling

Apr 26, 2018, 10:31:13 AM4/26/18
to nodejs
Don't know what you call expensive, but Linode's (https://welcome.linode.com) $5 plan (or any other similar VPC) are quite affordable.

Other options from them at https://www.linode.com/pricing

I've had great luck with Linode in the past.

Other options would be Amazon, GCP (Google), Azure, etc...

Just depends on the amount of work you care to put in and how much you are willing to spend per month.

 - Jeremy

--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Gerson

Apr 26, 2018, 10:31:13 AM4/26/18
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Kind regards / Cordialement,
Gerson Junior.

Vineesh N P

Apr 26, 2018, 10:31:20 AM4/26/18
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
You could try the following.

Openshift from redhat, Beanstalk from AWS, app engine from GCP,

--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Yours Sincerely
Vineesh Narikutty Pacha

Sameer Joshi

Apr 27, 2018, 7:12:36 PM4/27/18
to nodejs
DigitalOcean (digitalocean.com). Pricing starts frombas low as $5 / month

Wayne Bruton

Apr 27, 2018, 7:12:36 PM4/27/18
to nodejs
Thanks for the responses. I also found evennode.com which I am using for a trial month

Alain Mouette

Apr 29, 2018, 12:31:04 AM4/29/18
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Parece muito legal, mas não achei nada sobre:
1) segurança
2) no plano de $6 pode rodar 10 processos, mas ele ppdem ser diferentes? Isso é bom para separar as funcionalidades do backend...

-----
Alain Mouette (ツ)

--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Alain Mouette

Apr 29, 2018, 5:16:32 PM4/29/18
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Enviei dois chamados para o suporte...

On 27-04-2018 20:41, Alain Mouette wrote:
> Parece muito legal, mas não achei nada sobre:
> 1) segurança
Nem responderam, acho que lá no olimpo nõ gostam de ser questionados...

> 2) no plano de $6 pode rodar 10 processos, mas ele ppdem ser
> diferentes? Isso é bom para separar as funcionalidades do backend...
Os 10 processos vão receber *sempre* o mesmo load balancing que vai para
todos eles.
Isso quer dizer que não dá para dividir o backend em processos
diferentes para compartimentar, gosto disso por segurança.

=> Resumindo (IMHO) é bom mas com limitações desnecessárias

Alain