State of ES6/ES7 in node/v8?

Sathish Kumar

Oct 3, 2015, 10:31:08 PM10/3/15
to nodejs
Ref:https://github.com/nodejs/node/issues/3164#issuecomment-145199629

I know this is not node question.. But want to know what community thinks..

Can I write a full application using current es6 features released with node?

Can I combine write es5 and es6. Will it lead to performance issues? Ex current node/v8 does not have es6 import/export. I can write a class but use module.exports to export. Does it affect anywhere?

If anyone did how was the performance?

I see some of them say native promises are slower, and performance of let===var.. Does this affect a web application? Is there any issues raised in v8 regarding this?

ES7-

Many of us know Microsoft has added the experimental async and await feature in chakra..
That is awesome right?.. It will add some cleaner async operations.. Now that feature is added to stage 2 and may added stage 3 in near future.. Does anyone know when v8 gonna adds this and node gonna adapt? Timeline?

P.S: if this is not right place to ask this question.. Point me where I need to move.

Thanks

Zlatko

Oct 5, 2015, 9:56:13 AM10/5/15
to nodejs
You can write full ES6 apps and transpile with babel.js. It's very feature complete, even has stage 1 and stage 0 features (ES7 and onward). It will also provide you with a polyfil, so it will add features that you miss as a polyfil.

As for performance, this chart is a little old, but gives a good overview anyway:

As for what's implemented, what isn't, here's another link which a lot of community deems relevant:

It depends also on which Node version you use, too. Example, 4.0 has a lot more of ES6 then 0.12, and 0.12 has  lot more (well, has vs has not) compared to 0.10. (You should migrate to at least 0.12 anyway if you're using anything older.
So for those, implemented features, they should usually (not always) perform better then babel polyfil.