Visual modelling & design tools for node and web dev in general?

Andrew Willshire

May 5, 2014, 7:25:28 AM5/5/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm somewhat new to the paradigm of node development.  I come from a C++ background, and have traditionally used tools like Rational Rose for UML modelling.

What I'm wondering (and I've google a bit plus searched this group), are there any visual tools used for modelling web apps in general and node in particular.  I'm not after fancy round-trip software engineering tools.  Just something that readily lends itself to the process of modelling a web app, so I can collect my thoughts as I design.

Maybe such a tool isn't around, and people have a different workflow when doing web development.  Or maybe it's just standard to use Visio or a whiteboard.

I've studied a number of texts on node, and while all good with the hands on use of the various frameworks, I'm yet to see one that covers the analysis & design approach.

However, if anybody does have any suggestions about how you approach the design/modelling stage I would be keen to hear them.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Alex Kocharin

May 5, 2014, 11:42:48 AM5/5/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Since UML has nothing to do with actual programming (it's written for humans, not computers), all tools used aren't node.js specific. I suppose you can use the same tools you've been using before without any changes.

GIMP + graphic tablet works great for me personally.

05.05.2014, 18:45, "Andrew Willshire" <andrew.wi...@gmail.com>:
--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
Moderation policy: https://gist.github.com/othiym23/9886289#file-moderation-policy-md

Alexey Petrushin

May 5, 2014, 6:32:00 PM5/5/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I remember those good old times back in 2006, when grass was green and we use Rational Rose doing respectable JEE businesses.

Why whould you want it? Rational Rose is soooo ha-ha, let's say it a serious tool :). It's so serious that in 99% of project it's just too serious to be usefull.

There are paper and pen - just draw it and take a picture with phone, or use virtual pen, there are also drawings in google docs. Usually it's ennough.

Andrew Willshire

May 6, 2014, 6:51:27 AM5/6/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexey,

Thanks I agree with you.  I'd never use Rose these days!  I'm thinking lean like paper & pen is probably the most efficient to be honest.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Andrew Willshire

May 6, 2014, 7:18:01 AM5/6/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com, al...@kocharin.ru
Hi Alex,

Thanks for you help.  GIMP is probably a good way to go.  I forgot to ask about design patterns, which I think is part of my problem.  What I really wanted to find out was if there are well documented design patterns (any format) for the standard constructs that make up a web application.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Peter Rust

May 6, 2014, 10:00:08 AM5/6/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
We've used http://www.gliffy.com/ for diagramming... as others have mentioned, you don't need a node-specific tool.

> I'm yet to see one that covers the analysis & design approach

This is probably because node's culture is more prototype-first / design-later (evolutionary design) than Big Design Up Front (BDUF / waterfall). See:

-- peter rust

Peter Rust

May 6, 2014, 10:02:15 AM5/6/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
One more thing:

something that readily lends itself to the process of modelling a web app

If you're after modeling the UI, http://balsamiq.com/ has worked well for us.

-- peter

Aria Stewart

May 6, 2014, 11:44:41 AM5/6/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com

On May 6, 02014, at 7:18, Andrew Willshire <andrew.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Thanks for you help. GIMP is probably a good way to go. I forgot to ask about design patterns, which I think is part of my problem. What I really wanted to find out was if there are well documented design patterns (any format) for the standard constructs that make up a web application.

You run into a lot: “MVC” as twisted for a request/response cycle, in its variations; “routing”, “subrequest”, “long polling”, “model/view separation”, “Thick model”, “thin model”, “REST”, “HTTP Cache”; Hundreds more — what kind of design patterns are you after? What kind of web application?

They are more patterns that happen and should be recognized rather than a toolkit of Ways It Must Be Done, of course.

Aria
signature.asc

Andrew Willshire

May 8, 2014, 7:39:06 AM5/8/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Thanks so much!  These are excellent references.

All the best,
Andrew.

Andrew Willshire

May 9, 2014, 12:41:20 PM5/9/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aria

Thank you for your advice.  I didn't have any specific patterns in mind, it was more just a case of learning more about the node paradigm.

All the best,
Andrew.

Adam Reynolds

May 9, 2014, 1:44:04 PM5/9/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Having used Balsamiq I've found Invision a step up from it http://www.invisionapp.com

---

Pranab Das

Aug 16, 2017, 9:02:13 PM8/16/17
to nodejs
I would not say that UML is hostoric: I am earning my bread through its use for past 18 years :-)

Actually, JavaScript is not, in general, an object oriented language, which is why there might be dearth of UML tools. Some DSLs like TypeScript might have. Is the following page useful to you in any way?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17931892/how-to-generate-typescript-or-actionscript-uml-class-diagrams

Sorry, I cam to this group late, which is why the belated response.

Murukesh Sadasivan

Aug 18, 2017, 3:57:06 AM8/18/17
to nodejs

Not sure if visual programming languages are what you are looking for? We are building a programming environment - http://codeflow.co/ where you can use a diagrammatic representation to create web applications. It's built on top of Node.js and therefore you can import Node.js modules directly or can easily extended the platform by adding custom blocks using Node.js. https://noflojs.org/ is another such tool which was launched earlier, but haven't seen much action lately..

Thanks
Murukesh