raw-socket or raw-socket-ng or raw-socket2 or ...?

Stephen Vickers

Aug 28, 2015, 10:41:49 PM8/28/15
to nodejs
Hi All,

I am the author of the raw-socket module at:

I've noticed that there are now a few fork's of this module which have been published to npm:

I can't tell the difference between my version and these fork'd versions (other than that they look to be behind in terms of version/features).

Can anyone shed any light on the differences?

I don't mind taking patches if my module is missing something.

Note that this is also true for the net-ping module I author at:

This has a fork at:

The questions above apply to this too.

Thanks for your input.

Steve

Jimb Esser

Sep 2, 2015, 4:06:51 PM9/2/15
to nodejs
You can easily see from the commit logs what commits were made after the fork which gives insight on why they were forked and how they differed (looks like net-ping2 was forked because net-ping depended on an old version of raw-socket and it looks like raw-socket2 was forked to add support for node 0.11/0.12?).

Other thing of note that is different: raw-socket2 has a valid repository URL in the package.json, the one in raw-socket is not a valid URL (creates a dead link from NPM).

As to why these forks were published to NPM instead of sent as pull requests, only the author would know (you could try asking), but my guess is because it was easier to do that than to try to figure out how to use BitBucket and submit patches through there (I'm assuming there's no easy way to send a PR from a fork on GitHub back to the original BitBucket project...).