node-gyp errors in windows OS

Sorcerer Stone

Sep 13, 2016, 3:59:33 PM9/13/16
to nodejs
I am new to node js. OS is windows 8.1 with MS buildtools 2015 installed.

I am trying to install an app but kept running into errors related to node-gyp. The app seems to install node-gyp on its own (as I have not installed this module). The errors and possible solution is document in this link:
https://github.com/nodejs/node-gyp/issues/802

I had followed step 1 to step 5. I am having problem understanding Step 6: " Do npm i in what-ever project with node-gyp as a dependency without seeing weird error messages"

Can someone explain to me what it meant?

I have googled npm i. Got a bit confused, is npm i a short for npm install or it is a package name "npm-i' that I need to install?

I am installing the app as using this command: npm install -g theApp

How do I use npm i? Any URL that I can look into?

Since the errors I ran into is related to node-gyp. If I install manually node-gyp and then reinstall the app, does this make sense?

Also, is Yeoman module relies on node-gyp module in order to install successfully?

Thanks in advance.
Sorcerer