How to open atom text editor in nodejs

Danko63

Jun 15, 2017, 9:43:09 PM6/15/17
to nodejs
Overwhelmed new to any type of coding
trying to help kids program microprocessors (Arduino ect..) with Javascript
was using notepad as editor opened by nodejs  at command prompt.

Saw someone using atom text editor and made it look easy.
Wanted to try it
but can not get atom to open from command prompt like notepad.
been watching videos on youtube on how to operate atom? any ideas?
thanks for any help[
Dan

Daniel M

Jun 15, 2017, 11:02:44 PM6/15/17
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hello Danko63!

If I remember well, you should open your Atom text editor, and go to the Atom tab. Then click on 'Install Shell Commands'. That'll do the trick for you.

Once you've done that, you'll be able to open files from your terminal this way:

atom file-to-open

or even atom folder-to-open/

and atom . (to open all the files/directories located on your actual pwd)

Let me know if that worked for you!

Greetings,

Daniel Marcano

--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Danko63

Jun 16, 2017, 8:34:32 PM6/16/17
to nodejs
Thank you so much for reply and instructions
when opening editor- new file have not found the atom tab you specified (different version?) I did find a package called

atom-shell-commands package

Customize shell commands for atom. Similar to 'Run Commands' in NotePad++, 'User Tool' in EditPlus/UltraEdit, 'External Tool' in GEdit and 'Shell Commands' in TextMate.

Preface

This package enables you to setup shell commands as atom commands. Shell output will be captured and display in the atom's bottom panel.If you create a command named 'gcc-build', you will find 'atom-shell-commands:gcc-build' in the atom command palette, and then use keymap to setup a shotcut for it.

I was a window user and switched to Atom from EditPlus/Notepad++. Previously I wrote a script in EditPlus to compile-run my C/C++ programs and execute Makefiles with customizable compile flags and run options.

not sure if this is it or not  and then it can be opened in node at command promt with commands

atom file-to-open

or even atom folder-to-open/

and atom . (to open all the files/directories located on your actual pwd) sorry what is pwd?

Thanks Again Dan

---

Daniel M

Jun 16, 2017, 11:17:55 PM6/16/17
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Hello there!

We might now have different Atom versions but different OS's. I use it on a Mac...

pwd, at least on OSX systems, is a command you can use on the terminal to get your current path. Same with Linux. On Windows, though, it's a different one... I searched on the web and found that writing cd on a Windows terminal without giving it any parameters works the same as pwd on Mac (prints your current path).

I now realize what I wrote is wrong... I should have said path instead of pwd. Haha

I'm glad you found something that could solve your issue!

P. S. I recommend you marry Google. The solution to almost any one of your problems will (most likely) always be one search away from you.

---