Struggling with port 80

Lee Marshall

May 30, 2015, 10:59:20 PM5/30/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Having issues running node.js because port 80 is in use. Any advice? I'm using a cloud VPS server.

codepilot Account

May 31, 2015, 10:58:16 AM5/31/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried HTTPS on port 443?

--
Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Ryan Schmidt

May 31, 2015, 10:58:28 AM5/31/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com

On May 30, 2015, at 5:05 PM, Lee Marshall wrote:

> Having issues running node.js because port 80 is in use. Any advice? I'm using a cloud VPS server.

What is port 80 in use by? Presumably by a web server provided by your VPS. If you don't need that web server for anything else, you could stop it; then you can use port 80 for something else, like node.

Alternately -- and this is what many people do -- keep a standard web server like (recommended) nginx or (if absolutely necessary) apache on port 80, and configure it as a reverse proxy to hand relevant requests on to your node app, which runs on an unprivileged port, like 3000. This is useful if you need to run multiple node web sites from one server, or if you want to also run web sites that aren't run by node. You can also configure nginx or apache to handle some of the load, for example static files, while letting your node app focus on its unique duties.

zladuric

May 31, 2015, 10:58:28 AM5/31/15
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Port 80 is likely in use by apache or nginx. If it's one of them, you should either bring them down and let node take port 80, or, as is usual, forward requests that you want to node running on a high port, something above 1024.