Oracle development with node

Glenn Block

Jun 27, 2014, 3:57:37 AM6/27/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Anyone doing Oracle development with node? Is so, what modules do you recommend. Any ORMS? Interested in real world experiences folks have had / what works.

Thanks!
Glenn

Bruno Jouhier

Jun 27, 2014, 7:11:46 PM6/27/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Glenn,

We use https://github.com/joeferner/node-oracle. This is just a low level wrapper around Oracle's instant client.

It works well under normal conditions but exceptions can sometimes cause problems (see https://github.com/joyent/node/issues/6463 and https://github.com/joeferner/node-oracle/issues/94). I haven't retested very recently so the problem may be gone (it was only on OS X and seemed to depend on the version of gcc).

I had used another oracle driver earlier: https://github.com/mariano/node-db-oracle. This driver was part of a more ambitious project to have a common driver API across SQL databases. But I prefer node-oracle because it is closer to the native driver. IMO common abstractions / fancy APIs should be implemented in JS rather than in C++.

If you are interested, we also have an oracle device in our ez-streams library (there is also a mysql device  and a sql server one that we haven't published yet). With that we can easily build ETLs between oracle and other stores; for example pump data from oracle, transform it and inject it into mongo.

We are not using the node-oracle driver yet in our production code but we will probably in the future. I have contributed a few PRs (reader API) and we will probably help improve the driver as we move forwards in our project.

Bruno

Raymond Feng

Jun 27, 2014, 11:58:21 PM6/27/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Glenn.

You should check out LoopBack (loopback.io). We have a few modules supporting Oracle development in Node.

1. strong-oracle: The Node driver for Oracle databases.

2. loopback-connector-oracle: The Oracle connector for loopback-datasource-juggler, which is ORM that supports MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB, SQL Server, In-Memory, REST, and SOAP.

3. loopback: The API framework that allows you to define, build, and consume APIs that connect to various datasources.

https://github.com/strongloop/loopback-connector-oracle
https://github.com/strongloop/strong-oracle
https://github.com/strongloop/loopback-datasource-juggler
https://github.com/strongloop/loopback