Moving away from Google Groups to Discourse

Nick O'Leary

May 10, 2018, 9:16:07 AM5/10/18
to Node-RED Mailing List

Long version:

this Google Group has served the community very well over the last few years, but recently we've been feeling some of its limitations.

For example, its a single stream of messages with no ability to categorise them. A lot of the traffic is from users seeking help - which is an important function of the list. But that has inhibited us from using it more regularly within the committer/contributor community to discuss node-red development.

As we look at other open source projects and how they manage this sort of community discussion, a number of them use discourse.org.

Discourse is a well-regarded open source project that provides a structured forum for communities. What is even better is they offer free hosting for open-source projects that meet certain criteria - something that the Node-RED project does do.

Over the last week I've been setting up https://discourse.nodered.org and we're now at the point to open the doors to the wider community.

It will take a bit of getting used to, but we do believe it will be worth a small amount of initial disruption to gain from everything the forum can do for us.

The intention will be to close this mailing list to new traffic and move over to the new Node-RED forum entirely. We won't do that overnight, but nor will we leave both running in parallel for too long.

See you all in the new forum!

Nick

Julian Knight

May 10, 2018, 11:47:16 AM5/10/18
to Node-RED
Nice!

A real shame that Google haven't invested in Groups.

Will the group remain as a reference? There are quite a number of threads that I've starred over the years and I wouldn't want to lose the info.

Toshi Bass

May 10, 2018, 12:04:17 PM5/10/18
to Node-RED
Same question really, before I post anything to this group, I tend to search the group for any previous insight into my question, do you intend to move the whole group over or start again with an empty 'Discourse discussion forum' if so how long before the node-red google group finally disappears.

Mike Bell

May 10, 2018, 12:06:00 PM5/10/18
to Node-RED
Agreed! Even better would be to port the entire Groups archive to Discourse as a separate category. Wishful thinking?

Dave C-J

May 10, 2018, 12:06:23 PM5/10/18
to node...@googlegroups.com
It won't disappear - just will be locked for new posts... but not for a while

Julian Knight

May 10, 2018, 12:13:55 PM5/10/18
to Node-RED
Thanks Dave. No question that Discourse will be a better platform going onward.

Great continuing to see Node-RED growing and improving.

Paul Reed

May 10, 2018, 3:21:16 PM5/10/18
to Node-RED
We've used discourse for over a year now for https://community.openenergymonitor.org/ and despite a few little glitches here and there, it's been great.
Members and Moderators found it a bit of a steep curve initially, as they were familiar with the old Drupal site, and discourse works very differently....
The openenergymonitor team have become quite proficient with discourse, so should you need any help, I'm sure that they would help where they can.
Just drop me an email/Slack - DCJ has my details.

Paul

Andy

May 10, 2018, 3:37:16 PM5/10/18
to Node-RED
I see the need to move away from GG but man there's a lot of wasted space over there.

Glenn

May 11, 2018, 12:19:04 AM5/11/18
to Node-RED
Can't you just call it forum.nodered.org?

Why does it have to use the word discourse?

Dave C-J

May 11, 2018, 2:03:01 AM5/11/18
to node...@googlegroups.com
That's part of the conditions for them to host it for us for free.

Colin Law

May 11, 2018, 2:24:43 AM5/11/18
to node...@googlegroups.com
Will I be able to access it as a mailing list as I do at the moment?

Colin

--
http://nodered.org

Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
---

D G

May 11, 2018, 7:41:13 AM5/11/18
to Node-RED
yess i love it!

David Caparrós

May 11, 2018, 1:14:55 PM5/11/18
to Node-RED
Hello Guys

My first problem on the new forum discussion...

I opened a topic and just wanted to reply as I finnaly get it solved however just now tells me I have reached the max allowed replies per day and does not allow me to post anymore... I think I have not written a huge amount of replies considering when you have a problem you are having some discussion on some tests, I think limit should be increased much higher.

Regards

Glenn

May 11, 2018, 8:15:36 PM5/11/18
to Node-RED
Thanks, maybe a redirect would also be a good idea?

Julian Knight

May 22, 2018, 4:26:14 AM5/22/18
to Node-RED
Did you follow the tutorial post it offers you when you first join? I think that unlocks some stuff more quickly.

Julian Knight

May 22, 2018, 4:28:08 AM5/22/18
to Node-RED
Yes, it isn't the default setting but if you go into your settings, you can adjust things according to taste.

Jan Van den Audenaerde

May 22, 2018, 9:12:32 AM5/22/18
to Node-RED
Very Good decision !!

Walter Kraembring

May 22, 2018, 2:42:55 PM5/22/18
to Node-RED
Please, please, please

Consider to close this forum for new postings & replies asap, best would be right now or even yesterday

The longer it is kept open, the more topics will be added and those would be better served, now & in future, if entered right away into our new forum

Besides, I now find myself browsing two different forums for the same reason, is just annoying

I don't think I'm the only one...
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Nick O'Leary

May 25, 2018, 8:25:58 AM5/25/18
to Node-RED Mailing List
Before blocking group, will you to take this post on top, so newcomers like me will see.
Done - and have updated the welcome message with a bright red banner pointing to the new place.

Nick

On Fri, 25 May 2018 at 13:24, David Fernandez <david....@gmail.com> wrote:
Before blocking group, will you to take this post on top, so newcomers like me will see.

El dijous, 10 maig de 2018 15:16:07 UTC+2, Nick O'Leary va escriure:

--
http://nodered.org

Message has been deleted

Nick O'Leary

May 25, 2018, 9:32:17 AM5/25/18
to Node-RED Mailing List
Hi Toshi,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble. I can see your account on there, and I don't see any flags against it - but to be honest, this is new to us as well, so if problems persist, please do let me know and we can flag it up with Discourse to see what's going on.

I appreciate its a change and not everyone will like it. I'm sorry you've taken such a dislike to it. There is the 'feedback' category - we'd hope for constructive feedback rather than just a place to complain.

I can assure you that we have not deleted a single post in this thread - or indeed any other. Individual authors may have chosen to delete their own posts, but we do not, and will not, remove posts unless they breach the project's code of conduct.

Nick

On Fri, 25 May 2018 at 14:06, Toshi Bass <toshib...@gmail.com> wrote:
Its alright telling to post to discourse but I am having big trouble, every-time I try to log on I have to reset my password, then I try and keep getting ' Please wait before trying to log in again. when I eventually logon I cannot find the 'complain category', in reality I hate discourse its not easy or intuitive, I cannot find anyway to mark a thread to be re-read or followed  i.e like the star in google groups so I have trouble following things i am interested in, and whats all this LOVE junk I Love my wife & kids , I like node-red but I didn't fall in LOVE with it, unfortunately i do not see any positives for the move other than the categories which in reality don't help me at all.

I suppose you will delete this negative post as you have the other ones that have been deleted in this thread that I received also via email.

Mark Setrem

May 25, 2018, 10:09:07 AM5/25/18
to Node-RED

Toshi,  If it is of any use, in discourse you can Bookmark a thread for re-reading later  (which bookmarks the first message) ,

When you want to see the list of the posts you have bookmarked, click on your avatar (top right) and then the bookmark icon.

Batigolle

May 25, 2018, 4:27:22 PM5/25/18
to Node-RED
Hi Nick
I am one of those I had published and d was deleted
I try again ....

I joined the new forum ...
 but I'm sorry to lose features like,
"Translate message into ..." directly in the post
and "Mark all as read"

Dave C-J

May 25, 2018, 5:17:32 PM5/25/18
to node...@googlegroups.com
Is that the same as your post 2 days ago ? 6 entries above ? Or another ?

Dave C-J

May 25, 2018, 5:18:36 PM5/25/18
to node...@googlegroups.com
Either way - apologies if they seemed to go adrift.. nothing we did at this end as far as we know. Hopefully won't happen on Discourse.

Batigolle

May 25, 2018, 5:22:07 PM5/25/18
to Node-RED
yes it's the same
I thought you had closed the possibility of adding post ... no problem  ;)

Dave C-J

May 25, 2018, 5:47:05 PM5/25/18
to node...@googlegroups.com
not yet - but we will soon - See you on the other side !

Stephen Mann

May 26, 2018, 12:15:14 AM5/26/18
to Node-RED
Is there any way to keep the Google Groups open as read-only?  I would hate to see the history of posts to be unavailable for searching.

Steve Mann

Dave C-J

May 26, 2018, 3:03:09 AM5/26/18
to node...@googlegroups.com
Yes, see my post in this thread from 10th May.

Colin Law