armv6: npm install "has not been built"

Andreas Goetz

Feb 25, 2018, 6:42:32 AM2/25/18
to Node-RED
Trying to get node-red running on raspi1. Running either node-red or node-red-pi fails with the same message:

pi@wp ~ $ node -v
v9.6.1

pi@wp ~ $ sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red
/usr/local/bin/node-red-pi -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red/bin/node-red-pi
/usr/local/bin/node-red -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red/red.js
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/node-red/node_modules/grunt/node_modules/hooker/package.json'
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/node-red/node_modules/grunt-concurrent/node_modules/pad-stream/package.json'
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/node-red/node_modules/grunt-contrib-watch/node_modules/gaze/package.json'
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/node-red/node_modules/grunt-concurrent/node_modules/pad-stream/node_modules/pumpify/package.json'
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/node-red/node_modules/grunt-contrib-watch/node_modules/gaze/node_modules/globule/package.json'
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/node-red/node_modules/grunt-concurrent/node_modules/pad-stream/node_modules/pumpify/node_modules/duplexify/package.json'
npm WARN wdio-chromed...@0.1.2 requires a peer of chromedriver@^2.31.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.

+ node...@0.18.3
added 8 packages in 126.731s
pi@wp ~ $ node-red
Node-RED has not been built. See README.md for details

README has nothing to say about using grunt with the pre-build npm modules. Installing the grunt dependencies and restarting the node-red npm install does not fix it either.

Manually building doesn't seem to be possible either:

pi@wp /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red $ grunt build
>> Error: Node Sass does not yet support your current environment: Linux Unsupported architecture (arm) with Node.js 9.x
>> For more information on which environments are supported please see:
Warning: Task "sass:build" not found. Use --force to continue.

Aborted due to warnings.

Any mode ideas?

Thanks,
Andreas

Colin Law

Feb 25, 2018, 6:56:47 AM2/25/18
to node...@googlegroups.com
Did you install node red using the recommended method for the pi,
using the bash curl command from
https://nodered.org/docs/hardware/raspberrypi

Colin
> --
> http://nodered.org
>
> Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/node-red/455749b7-4cf4-46aa-83af-e33ec2cd2c9a%40googlegroups.com.

Andreas Goetz

Feb 25, 2018, 6:59:29 AM2/25/18
to Node-RED

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 12:56:47 PM UTC+1, Colin Law wrote:
Did you install node red using the recommended method for the pi,
using the bash curl command from
https://nodered.org/docs/hardware/raspberrypi

Colin

No, I didn't. I understood its specifically targeted at upgrading the outdated jessie nodejs versions. I have however retried everything above with node LTS 8.x instead of 9 with the same result.

Will do that as next thing...

Cheers,
Andi

Colin Law

Feb 25, 2018, 7:16:33 AM2/25/18
to node...@googlegroups.com
On 25 February 2018 at 11:59, Andreas Goetz <cpu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 12:56:47 PM UTC+1, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> Did you install node red using the recommended method for the pi,
>> using the bash curl command from
>> https://nodered.org/docs/hardware/raspberrypi
>>
>> Colin
>
> No, I didn't. I understood its specifically targeted at upgrading the
> outdated jessie nodejs versions. I have however retried everything above
> with node LTS 8.x instead of 9 with the same result.
>
> Will do that as next thing...

That is the recommended way of installing or upgrading on a pi or
other recent debian based system.

Colin

> Cheers,
> Andi
>

> --
> http://nodered.org
>
> Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/node-red/6e5c8a22-d592-4065-8652-eaf1ec449885%40googlegroups.com.

Andreas Goetz

Feb 25, 2018, 7:32:45 AM2/25/18
to Node-RED
Indeed, using the script fixed it:

Running Node-RED update for user pi at /home/pi

This can take 20-30 minutes on the slower Pi versions - please wait.

  Stop Node-RED                       ✔
  Remove old version of Node-RED      ✔
  Remove old version of Node.js       -
  Update Node.js LTS                  ✔   Node v8.9.4   Npm 5.6.0
  Clean npm cache                     ✔
  Install Node-RED core               ✔   0.18.3
  Move global nodes to local          -
  Install extra Pi nodes              -
  Npm rebuild existing nodes          ✔
  Add menu shortcut                   ✔
  Update systemd script               ✔  Update update script                ✔

Still confused about what difference it makes in terms of installed packages.

Much appreciated, thank @Colin!

Colin Law

Feb 25, 2018, 8:22:22 AM2/25/18
to node...@googlegroups.com
On 25 February 2018 at 12:32, Andreas Goetz <cpu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed, using the script fixed it:
>
> Running Node-RED update for user pi at /home/pi
>
> This can take 20-30 minutes on the slower Pi versions - please wait.
>
> Stop Node-RED ✔
> Remove old version of Node-RED ✔
> Remove old version of Node.js -
> Update Node.js LTS ✔ Node v8.9.4 Npm 5.6.0
> Clean npm cache ✔
> Install Node-RED core ✔ 0.18.3
> Move global nodes to local -
> Install extra Pi nodes -
> Npm rebuild existing nodes ✔
> Add menu shortcut ✔
> Update systemd script ✔ Update update script
> ✔
>
> Still confused about what difference it makes in terms of installed
> packages.

Possibly there was something wrong with the previously installed
version of node-red or npm that prevented the re-install.

Colin

Dave C-J

Feb 25, 2018, 10:41:20 AM2/25/18
to node...@googlegroups.com
somehow you seem to have installed the developer version from github -
that does then to be built - but currently doesn't build on a Pi
without editing the package.json to remove a couple of packages. But
by far the easiest way to install/update is to use the update script
provided.