Manual process for setting Twitter Node credentials?

Scott C. Lemon

Nov 2, 2016, 12:51:28 PM11/2/16
to Node-RED
I have been trying to set-up a new Twitter node for a demo, and no matter what I do I keep getting:

Something went wrong with the authentication process. The following error was returned:
401: dummy error
One known cause of this type of failure is if the clock is wrong on system running Node-RED

The Node-RED install is on my local network, behind NAT, and the clock is accurate.  Nothing else of value in the error logs.

It is attempting an OAuth handshake?  Or?

Is there a manual process around this?

Thanks!

Julian Knight

Nov 2, 2016, 5:22:06 PM11/2/16
to Node-RED
Have you checked the clock? Is it correct?

Colin Law

Nov 2, 2016, 5:42:55 PM11/2/16
to node...@googlegroups.com
Is the clock timezone correct?

Colin

--
http://nodered.org

Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
---

Scott C. Lemon

Scott C. Lemon

Nov 7, 2016, 12:20:23 PM11/7/16
to Node-RED
I'm baffled.

After I had rebooted my machine, and moved to a new location, it suddenly worked for me!

I'm trying to see if I can recreate the failure.

Raúl Martínez

Jan 16, 2017, 11:03:44 AM1/16/17
to Node-RED
Were you able to find the root cause, I'm still getting the same error

Scott C. Lemon

Jan 16, 2017, 12:32:11 PM1/16/17
to Node-RED
No.  :-(

This is one of those VERY frustrating issues that occurred, and now I can't recreate.  I have NO clue what caused it, but it has to be associated with the OAuth handshake and maybe IP address?

When I was first trying this is simply would not work.  When I shut down, and then went to a new location, it simply worked.

I have not had to try again from scratch, and so I haven't yet determined what the issue was.

Nicholas O'Leary

Jan 16, 2017, 12:35:30 PM1/16/17
to Node-RED Mailing List
but it has to be associated with the OAuth handshake and maybe IP address?

I believe it is related to Twitter rate limiting authentications from a particular IP.

The proper long term solution is for us to update the twitter node so you can provide your own twitter app id, rather than use the one baked into the node.

Nick

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/node-red.

Raúl Martínez

Jan 16, 2017, 12:39:58 PM1/16/17
to Node-RED
I read the "clock" authentication does not work behind a proxy. I'll try from a proxy free network later today and let you know if it is related.

Raúl Martínez

Jan 17, 2017, 9:20:44 AM1/17/17
to Node-RED
Hello again,

I validated what I found in a previous article, the twitter authentication mechanism does not work behind a proxy. That's why it worked for us in a "different location"

Regards