TOUCH: Scrolling of node palette

chris mobberley

May 18, 2014, 4:58:14 AM5/18/14
to node...@googlegroups.com
Unsure if this should go on here or the specific issue on github (let me know).

At the moment as support has not been fully built yet for node-red mobile so I'm finding it hard to scroll the list of available nodes in the palette. This is due to two reasons:

- The area to tap and scroll is quite small due to the screen size (Pretty sure I can only grab whitespace beside the nodes which is tiny)
- The nodes themselves select quite fast in the palette and end up wanting to be dragged to the canvas. If you move VERY quick you can just about get away with not doing this.

From my perspective it may make sense that there is a slight delay added to the node selection in the palette allowing you to use the whole area to move the palette up and down. As I've said it seems that the nodes select too quick and stop you being able to scroll and naturally I think being able to touch anywhere on the palette to scroll up and down would make sense and also give a nice big touchable area for movement.

Nicholas O'Leary

May 18, 2014, 5:09:32 AM5/18/14
to node...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Chris.

As you note, the mobile ui is far from complete. So raising issues against things we're still developing is a little unfair ;)

If you have any specific suggestions etc, please add comments to issue #1 (https://github.com/node-red/node-red/issues/1) which I'm using to record the various changes needed as they come up.

The focus has been on the minimum viable ui; enabling features that were previously impossible with a touch only ui. We're almost there with this part of the work, with a only a few things remaining.

This does of course mean there are some rough edges, such as the palette issues you describe. The next phase will be more structural ui changes to optimise for both touch and smaller screens.

Nick

--
http://nodered.org
---

Christopher Mobberley

May 18, 2014, 5:16:28 AM5/18/14
to node...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nick

These are by no means meant to be seen as issues/whinges. I understand it is work in progress and I just wanted to add them as suggestions to what can be improved based on what isn't in the list on github. I assumed github was meant for specific issues and this group was for suggestions.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Node-RED" group.

Nicholas O'Leary

May 18, 2014, 5:32:01 AM5/18/14
to node...@googlegroups.com

In this instance, adding comments to issue #1 is appropriate as its the catchall issue for this work. But it doesn't really matter... all feedback via whatever route is welcome.

Nick

TJ Koury

May 22, 2014, 4:04:29 PM5/22/14
to node...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I'm actively working on this particular issue as part of my mobile branch.