Call for testing: node-red-dashboard group layout

Nicholas O'Leary

Sep 15, 2016, 6:37:10 PM9/15/16
to Node-RED Mailing List
Hi,

the existing release of node-red-dashboard has some issues with laying out certain combinations of groups; they end up overlapping.

I've done a complete rewrite of the layout code that hopefully addresses those problems whilst also making it much more efficient (roughly two orders of magnitude fewer operations).

But this is the sort of code that has endless edge cases that need checking. It would be great if anyone who is already running the code from git could update their instance to pull the latest changes down and see how you get on.

We'd like to get 2.0.3 out in the next few days to fix some of the outstanding issues - this being one of them. If you do try it, please let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Nick

Colin Law

Sep 16, 2016, 3:57:44 AM9/16/16
to node...@googlegroups.com
It looks ok to me so far.

Colin
> --
> http://nodered.org
>
> Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
> ---

Quentin Lindh

Sep 27, 2016, 6:03:14 PM9/27/16
to Node-RED
Hi, I am using the 2.0.2 version on npm and am experiencing a related issue where renaming a tab via the edit option in the "dashboard" column on the right breaks the group associations.  The groups that belong to the tab become unassigned and the only fix seems to be delete the tab and the group and reassign each ui node.. Is 2.0.3 comming to npm with a fix or should I clone from the latest Github version to address this?
Thanks,
Quentin

Dave C-J

Sep 27, 2016, 7:09:18 PM9/27/16
to node...@googlegroups.com

Good question... We hope we've fixed that.... But...
No need to clone, you can also install direct from Github if you like by
    cd ~/.node-red
    npm i node-red/node-red-dashboard

Larry Roy

Sep 28, 2016, 4:52:39 PM9/28/16
to Node-RED
I just installed 2.0.3, and the dashboard tab renaming issue seems to be fixed.  I had the rename issue happen just this morning with a production site, but running 2.0.2.

I will try some other stuff that gave me overlap issues before...

I am curious about the memory usage issue with the chart widget... is that still a problem?

I have been working with getting ChartJS to work as a stop-gap, only because I have process control charts that run basically forever, and they crash after awhile (known issue).

Larry

Dave C-J

Sep 28, 2016, 5:18:44 PM9/28/16
to node...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

good to know - thanks for the feedback. Yes the chart is still leaky - we are looking at possible fixes now - possibly even moving to chart.js.

Does chart.js work OK for you ?

Colin Law

Sep 29, 2016, 2:40:53 AM9/29/16
to node...@googlegroups.com
For my information is the chart node leaky in the server or the browser?

+1 for going to chart.js. As discussed in another thread I have got
chart.js working in a DIY template node but, for me at least, it would
be much better if there were built in support.

Colin
> --
> http://nodered.org
>
> Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/node-red/CACXWFw%2BrsCO3rU-VPj5kSoe6B%2Bhjn9fQO09-Vj0%3DpbrcLoX3yg%40mail.gmail.com.

Julian Knight

Sep 29, 2016, 3:55:52 AM9/29/16
to Node-RED
Not sure about the server but certainly in the browser. Don't know if it has improved but with v1 anything more than around 40-50 points on the chart would slow the whole thing to a crawl and sometimes crash on mobile browsers.

Colin Law

Sep 29, 2016, 4:31:22 AM9/29/16
to node...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks. I have not noticed the problems even on mobile devices. I
have some large charts (many hundreds of points).

Cheers

Colin
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/node-red/75578c54-19bb-451f-8f75-3e86874dd1b5%40googlegroups.com.

Dave C-J

Sep 29, 2016, 4:57:07 AM9/29/16
to node...@googlegroups.com
It mainly seems to be the update rate, combined with number of points, that kills it. Even if we add things as a single point to points array it seems to then take a massive memory jump - we are guessing internally redrawing the complete graph array and swapping it over... relying on garbage collection to clean up... which it can if a slow update - even with quite a few points... but not when the rates/points increase.

(This is not proven but seems to fit the evidence so far.... - hence looking for alternative engines that may do it differently/better)

Colin Law

Sep 29, 2016, 5:39:08 AM9/29/16
to node...@googlegroups.com
I am only adding points every 10 seconds max and normally much slower
(showing data for a 24 hour chart) so maybe that is why I don't see
the problem.

Colin
> --
> http://nodered.org
>
> Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/node-red/CACXWFwLrw2DnViJiwfZMxdhENCSkZFDFCEeK-3Z6_6ko4f%3DD_w%40mail.gmail.com.

Larry Roy

Sep 29, 2016, 9:47:59 PM9/29/16
to Node-RED
Chart.js seems to work well, but using it is far more involved than the dashboard widget, obviously.

For the immediate future, I plan to use the dashboard widget for quick studies, or slow-update use-cases, and chartjs in cases where I need more customization or when chart update rates are high.

What would be fantastic, is to have chartjs as the basis for the dashboard widget, with access somehow to all the "options" that are available in each chart type.

Not sure how you would expose the underlying chart options? Maybe some kind of input field where JSON options object could be specified?

Larry

Colin Law

Sep 30, 2016, 4:18:19 AM9/30/16
to node...@googlegroups.com