i18n ja resource in NR

daisuke baba

Jan 14, 2017, 3:11:58 AM1/14/17
to node...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,

Thank you for the new 0.16.0 release. It seems to work good for me.
However, I've found a new i18n resource is added to NR in the PR#1084

I think the contribution itself is a great work but I'm not satisfied with the wording in the translated resource.

Can I modify the ja resource(issue a PR)?

db

Nicholas O'Leary

Jan 14, 2017, 4:46:32 PM1/14/17
to Node-RED Mailing List
Hi,

you are absolutely welcome to propose changes via a PR. You can then discuss the changes with the author of the original pull-request; Dave and I are not in a position to determine if your wording is any better than the current!

More generally, I want to find a way to make it easier to manage the translation files - so we generate them in the first place and keep them up to date via community contribution.

Nick

--
http://nodered.org

Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
---

Takeshi Ueno

Jan 16, 2017, 12:42:39 AM1/16/17
to node...@googlegroups.com
Japanese resource based on  Qiita (tech board with Japanese)  http://qiita.com/zuhito/items/34ccc7eb9aa0c7f09ed7 . Qiita is a famous technical bulletin board in Japan, but I do not know if the thread represents the Japanese development community. User Group exist in Facebook (Node-RED User Group Japan https://www.facebook.com/groups/noderedjp/ ) but it is member only group.

Japanese localization is lacking due to involvement of people with various opinions, so it is a good idea to first commit the starting point.
However, I also do not think that this translation is the best one for Japanese speakers. For example, when localizing the development environment, there are words and sentences that are easier to use and translated, and words and sentences easier to understand in English, but since they are translated without setting policies to distinguish them, The appearance is uneven.

As a passive proposal, there is an idea to provide a function to select display resources in FlowEditor. However, since it is a good opportunity to make a Japanese translation proposal, I think that it is better to decide and correct the official translation of the community.

After that the same sentence in Japanese...

日本語リソースはQiitaの投稿 http://qiita.com/zuhito/items/34ccc7eb9aa0c7f09ed7 を基にしています。Qiitaは日本では有名な技術系の掲示板ですが、当該スレッドが日本の開発コミュニティの意見を代表しているとは思いません。ユーザーグループ Node-RED User Group Japan https://www.facebook.com/groups/noderedjp/ がFacebookにありますが、ここはメンバー限定のグループです。

日本語ローカライズはさまざまな意見を持つ人が関与することでまとまりに欠けることになるので、最初にたたき台がコミットされることはよいことです。しかし、日本語話者の私も今回の翻訳が最良のものであるとは思いません。例えば、開発環境をローカリゼーションする場合、翻訳したほうが使いやすい単語や文章と、英語のままのほうが理解しやすい単語や文章がありますが、それらを区別するポリシーが設定されないまま翻訳されているので画面での見た目がバラバラになっています。

消極的な提案として、FlowEditorで表示リソースを選択する機能を提供する考えがあります。しかし、日本語の翻訳提案をする良い機会ですので、コミュニティの公式翻訳を決定して修正するほうがよいと考えます。

Takeshi Ueno <uta...@ueno.org>

daisuke baba

Jan 16, 2017, 8:55:57 AM1/16/17
to node...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,

Thank you for the reply.
Regarding the way to manage i18n resources, I have an idea if you have a valid google API key.

With a third party npm package and/or a grunt plugin using Google Translate API, it's possible to generate i18n resources. The problem is Google doesn't open it for free to open sources communities :(

Alternately, there's a npm package named google-translate-api (https://github.com/matheuss/google-translate-api), which advertises free and unlimited use of Google Translate service.
With the package, I can also create/publish a grunt plugin to offer the same functions (I tried it and confirmed it'd worked properly) and contribute to NR project by modifying package.json and Gruntfile.js. But I'm not sure if the use of the package in NR project is legitimate.

Anyway, if NR team has a valid (meaning paid) Google API key, I can contribute some stuff to make and maintain i18n resources easier.

daisuke baba

Jan 16, 2017, 9:19:34 AM1/16/17
to node...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

With google translate, I already have a set of ja resources as follows (just took within a minute to translate with Google Translate):

- node-red/nodes/core/locales/ja/messages.json
- node-red/red/api/locales/ja/editor.json
- node-red/red/api/locales/ja/infotips.json
- node-red/red/api/locales/ja/jsonata.json
- node-red/red/runtime/locales/ja/runtime.json

Some of the translation quality are not yet good but these files can boost the translation activities. I'm going to create a PR soon after reviewing them.
I totally re-wrote editor.json by Google Translate as well as the current version doesn't cover all en-US entries.

I think, as Nick mentioned, GitHub PR is the best place to discuss the translation contents rather than Qiita where developers/engineers publish tech articles and blogs. However, posting the translation status and call for help in Qiita can be a good way.

Regarding the translation activities, I believe they need end users' help and feedback as well as (professional) developer/engineers' as NR is open to and useful for everyone, I mean, non-engineers. So involving a NR users group is a good idea, I think.

zuhito com

Jan 16, 2017, 9:55:40 AM1/16/17
to Node-RED
Dear Daisuke-san,

I'm author of Japanese translation.
Currently Japanese members in Node-RED user group are starting to discuss Japanese translation on the following Slack.

https://nodered.slack.com

Could you join the discussion to improve Japanese translation with the members?

Best Regards,
Kazuhito Yokoi

zuhito com

Jan 16, 2017, 10:19:02 AM1/16/17
to Node-RED
Dear Daisuke-san,

This is the website to register Japanese Slack acconut.

https://nodered-slack.herokuapp.com/

Takeshi-san has already joined to the Slack.
Please consider to join the discussion.

Best Regards,
Kazuhito Yokoi