Installing own nodes doesn't work

Jennifer Kosta

Jul 25, 2016, 5:15:06 AM7/25/16
to Node-RED
Hey guys,
 I'm just getting started with Node-RED for my bachelor thesis and I have the problem, that my own created nodes do not show up at the Node-Red-Browser.

Is there anything special depending the directory I need to save them? There are quite a lot of different places in my directory where I can find other installed nodes, but I couldn't figure out which one is the right one. I have tried everything I could come up with. Even if I download them from npm it won't work.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks,

Greetz Jenny

Ben Hardill

Jul 25, 2016, 6:28:15 AM7/25/16
to Node-RED
Where have you tried to put them so far?

Also what platform are you working on and what version of Node-RED are you using?

Have you included the node-red section in the package.json when you try to install the nodes from npm?

For developing nodes I tend to install a separate instance of Node-RED so I can keep things clean.

In that case I create a directory under node-red/nodes/ to host the nodes I'm working on

For npm packaged nodes these should be installed so they end up in either node-red/node_modules or ~/.node-red/node_modules

Finally, just double checking, you have restarted Node-RED after installing the nodes?

Jennifer Kosta

Jul 28, 2016, 8:52:59 AM7/28/16
to Node-RED
Hey,

I actually found the reason why my local nodes were not installed... The nodesDir was missing... I included it and now it works just fine.. Thanks for your support