Message propagation in nodes.

ನಾಗೇಶ್ ಸುಬ್ರಹ್ಮಣ್ಯ

Jun 27, 2016, 11:54:51 AM6/27/16
to Node-RED
Quick one. How are messages propagated from one node to other based on wiring? Is there an underlying messaging engine ? Or, node.js magic? :)

Regards,
NAGESH

Dave C-J

Jun 28, 2016, 6:27:59 PM6/28/16
to node...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nagesh,

each node emits an event with a msg object (or null)... the wiring says which other nodes receive that event. By default it uses the event loop built into node.js to do this - so it is their magic not ours :-) though we try to direct it and make it visible to the user using the UI.

ನಾಗೇಶ್ ಸುಬ್ರಹ್ಮಣ್ಯ

Jun 29, 2016, 1:54:16 PM6/29/16
to Node-RED
Thanks, Dave for the response!

As a former IBM WMB (nowadays IIB) developer, I love the simplicity of node-red. I wish the UI covering the palette, drag-and-drop, nodes and wiring in Orion was available separately on its own so that I don't have to worry about ui elements and focus on real problems.