Sending data to Power BI using Node-RED

Ka Th

Jul 24, 2015, 10:29:17 PM7/24/15
to Node-RED
Hey guys

anyone figure out how to send data to Microsoft Power BI using the Rest API.  Power BI is a new real time dashboard and it would be pretty neet to able to easily hook it up to Node-RED for rapid dashboards.

For me personally I was hoping to have two post HTTP weblinks to send the state of my relay [ON,OFF] but I am pretty new at this stuff. If anyone can figure it out it would be a great cool visualization tool for the community.

Use Power BI REST API to send data to a Power BI dashboard in real-time

"With the Power BI REST API, you can create your own business solution to push data into a Power BI dashboard in real-time. Your dashboards will be updated in real-time when the data changes. You can use your choice of technology, including .NET, JQuery or Ruby, to write your app. The Power BI REST API uses industry standards such as OAuth2, and has REST operations to push data into a Power BI dashboard in real time."

-K

Julian Knight

Jul 31, 2015, 11:39:05 AM7/31/15
to Node-RED, kava...@gmail.com
Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft. I'm not sure what their developers smoke but I'm afraid the concept of simplicity has completely escaped them!

I keep looking at the Azure API's every few weeks hoping that something might have clicked in my brain or they had come up with a simpler example but no such luck.

I think that you need to create a host application that you then register with your Azure AD. It effectively acts as the API broker. The code to set up is significant and their examples generally assume you are steeped in Microsoft terminology and using a Microsoft development stack (e.g. Visual Studio).

However, if you do manage to work it out, PLEASE write up a blog post about it and share because I imagine quite a few people would benefit. Sorry I can't help more but I simply don't have the time to learn the arcane ways of the MS API stack :(

Ka Th

Aug 4, 2015, 4:57:19 PM8/4/15
to Node-RED, kava...@gmail.com

Hey Juilan

You are absolutely correct.  As cool as Power BI is their API is way too confusing.  I am thinking of connecting my node-red flow with a Google FireBase node instead.