integration of Node-RED with RRDtool?

Edward Vielmetti

Aug 28, 2015, 2:40:58 PM8/28/15
to node...@googlegroups.com
By way of background, RRDtool is a round-robin database
and simple graphing package that's an interesting approach
for collecting and storing sensor data. It started out as part
of MRTG, a system for collecting stats on network routers, and
has been useful for a number of years.

One of the appealing things about it is that it's compact enough
to run on a Raspberry Pi 2, and that the databases you create
with it are fixed size so they don't grow when you add a record.

There's a set of node.js bindings to RRDtool here

which look like it is in modestly good shape.

I ask partly because there's a Python binding to rrd, and because
the 'mqttwarn' package uses it to provide this interface

which I'm going to try to rig up to see how it looks.

There is a command line interface to RRDtool that it looks
like it would be easy to adapt in an "exec" node, but that's
very much a second choice if someone has done the native
interface.

Dave C-J

Aug 28, 2015, 3:55:17 PM8/28/15
to node...@googlegroups.com

Hi Edward,
Must admit I did look at that a while back and as it was labeled alpha but 2012, and requires compiling with gyp on install I just went with using exec for my home server :-)

I set up the database manually, then used one exec node to insert values, and another to generate graphs for a web page.

Geoffrey Arnold

Aug 28, 2015, 4:29:22 PM8/28/15
to node...@googlegroups.com
Hey Edward,

I couldn't find a direct Node-RED -> RRDtool plugin on npmjs.com, however you can configure Collectd[1] to write metrics to RRDtool, and use the native Node-RED Collectd plugin to send metrics to Collectd[2], ie. Node-RED -> Collectd -> RRDtool.

That said, we disable RRDtool on our Pis[3] as the high IO doesn't play nicely with SD cards, and instead use an external service called Librato[4][5] to aggregate metrics.

Best,
Geoff.

--
http://nodered.org
---

Dave C-J

Aug 28, 2015, 4:48:43 PM8/28/15
to node...@googlegroups.com

Nice !
Good point re SD cards on Pi (or anywhere else). I'm not using SD on my home server so not a problem for me, but yes. Though must say I've not had many SD failure from writes at the rates I'm outputting data on other systems. (Few writes per minute).