(newbie issue) Serialport Error on Starting node-red

James Barrett

May 24, 2017, 6:59:01 AM5/24/17
to Node-RED
Getting this error when starting node-red on my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B:

[error] serial port /dev/ttyACM0 error: Error: Error Resource temporarily unavailable Cannot lock port

The serialport node wont connect to the port of my Arduino without manually unplugging and plugging the serial cable. I've tried as much as I know such as updates, re-installs, disabling the serial ports for login.

Node-RED version: v0.16.2
Node.js  version: v6.10.3

Bear with me because I'm new to this stuff. Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Dave C-J

May 24, 2017, 10:30:49 AM5/24/17
to node...@googlegroups.com
Odd, usually the Pi user has access - but you need to make sure the user you are using is part of the dialout group
eg
    sudo usermod -a -G dialout {your user id}

Julian Knight

May 24, 2017, 10:32:03 AM5/24/17
to Node-RED
Sounds like something is grabbing the port before you start Node-RED. Are you running NR as a service or manually?

James Barrett

May 24, 2017, 6:35:03 PM5/24/17
to node...@googlegroups.com
I tried adding my user to the dialout group and the issue still persists.
I am running node-red at start up automatically as a service. When I manually start and stop the service, I sometimes but not always get this error:

[info] [nodebot:39226820.093828] error loading io class

I'm thinking the error with the serial port was introduced because my node-red has problems doing a full deploy when the serial port is connected. It often would cause the server to crash or maybe even the Pi?

--
http://nodered.org

Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
---

James R. Barrett
Undergraduate Engineer (Mechatronics)
University of Wollongong

Phone: 0437 934 563

Mark Setrem

May 24, 2017, 6:51:51 PM5/24/17
to Node-RED
so are you trying to run the serial port node and the node-red-contrib-gpio/johnny5/raspi-io nodes on the same device?

James Barrett

Julian Knight