New Node Red to control bulb of Mi-light,Limitless,Easybulb, etc ..

bilal alsaidi

Dec 11, 2016, 2:11:19 PM12/11/16
to Node-RED
Hi ,

I have published npm package called "node-red-contrib-milight-wrapper" to control White and Color Milight LED bulbs and OEM equivalents such as Rocket LED, Limitless LED Applamp, Easybulb, s'luce, iLight, iBulb, and Kreuzer. The package covers most of the commands for the white/RGB bulbs such as on, off, warmer, cooler, bright up, bright down, max bright, night mode, and changing colors.
It uses the "node-milight-promise" internally and was forked from "node-red-contrib-milight". The link is below:

Regards,
Bilal Al-Saeedi

Nicholas O'Leary

Dec 11, 2016, 2:17:45 PM12/11/16
to Node-RED

Hi,

Did you discuss your changes with the original node author before publishing your own version? We try to encourage enhancing existing nodes rather than creating copies otherwise users are presented with an impossible choice trying to pick which they should use.

Your readme still points at Stephen's repository and doesn't explain how your module is different from his.

Nick

--
http://nodered.org

Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
---

bilal alsaidi

Dec 11, 2016, 3:43:39 PM12/11/16
to Node-RED
Hi Nick,

You are absolutely right. What I did was an enhancement for his node to support many more commands. I did a fork just because it is faster :)
I will contact the original author to add my changes and delete my node after he accept them. I will also update the readme to reflect the changes I did.
Thanks for your note.

Regards,
Bilal

HellandB

Jul 18, 2017, 10:40:49 AM7/18/17
to Node-RED
Hi Bilal,

Got any plans on upgrading your node to support the latest v6/iBox2 bridge from LimitLessLed

I am using your node for my V5 version of the bridge, but still waiting to set up my v6.

Thanks.

Sjoerd van Staveren

Jul 18, 2017, 2:24:49 PM7/18/17
to Node-RED
Hi Bilal,

I have tried to install your package. I get the following error:

Error: Command failed: npm install --save --save-prefix="~" --production node-red-contrib...@1.0.2
npm ERR! Linux 4.9.28-v7+
npm ERR! argv "/usr/bin/nodejs" "/usr/bin/npm" "install" "--save" "--save-prefix=\"~\"" "--production" "node-red-contrib...@1.0.2"
npm ERR! node v6.11.1
npm ERR! npm  v3.10.10
npm ERR! code ETARGET

npm ERR! notarget No compatible version found: node-red-contrib...@1.0.2
npm ERR! notarget Valid install targets:
npm ERR! notarget 1.0.0
npm ERR! notarget
npm ERR! notarget This is most likely not a problem with npm itself.
npm ERR! notarget In most cases you or one of your dependencies are requesting
npm ERR! notarget a package version that doesn't exist.

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR!     /root/.node-red/npm-debug.log

I am running Node-RED version 0.17.4 on a RaspberryPI. Any idea what might be the cause?

With kind regards,

Sjoerd van Staveren
Netherlands

Colin Law

Jul 18, 2017, 3:45:53 PM7/18/17
to node...@googlegroups.com
According to the link
https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-milight-wrapper the
node is at version 1.0.0 but it appears you are trying to install
1.0.2.

Colin
> --
> http://nodered.org
>
> Join us on Slack to continue the conversation: http://nodered.org/slack
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/node-red/d688da34-db59-4a3c-8776-15f197f6ef7b%40googlegroups.com.

Sjoerd van Staveren

Jul 23, 2017, 2:45:38 AM7/23/17
to Node-RED
Hi Colin,

That is corect. I'm installing wityh the palette manager from Node-RED. https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-milight-wrapper
That is version 1.0.2

I will try and install from the link you gave me.

Sjoerd

On 18 July 2017 at 19:24, Sjoerd van Staveren <sjoerd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bilal,
>
> I have tried to install your package. I get the following error:
>
> Error: Command failed: npm install --save --save-prefix="~" --production
> node-red-contrib-milight-wra...@1.0.2
> npm ERR! Linux 4.9.28-v7+
> npm ERR! argv "/usr/bin/nodejs" "/usr/bin/npm" "install" "--save"
> "--save-prefix=\"~\"" "--production"
> "node-red-contrib-milight-wra...@1.0.2"
> npm ERR! node v6.11.1
> npm ERR! npm  v3.10.10
> npm ERR! code ETARGET
>
> npm ERR! notarget No compatible version found:
> node-red-contrib-milight-wra...@1.0.2

Colin Law

Jul 23, 2017, 3:03:44 AM7/23/17
to node...@googlegroups.com
I believe that will install the same version (1.0.0) from npmjs.com.
I suspect the node is not maintained as the link to the github source
is broken. It might be worth contacting the maintainer to find out
what the situation is
https://github.com/alronz

Colin

On 23 July 2017 at 07:45, Sjoerd van Staveren <sjo...@van-staveren.net> wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> That is corect. I'm installing wityh the palette manager from Node-RED.
> https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-milight-wrapper
> That is version 1.0.2
>
> I will try and install from the link you gave me.
>
> Sjoerd
>

> Op dinsdag 18 juli 2017 21:45:53 UTC+2 schreef Colin Law:
>>
>> According to the link
>> https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-milight-wrapper the
>> node is at version 1.0.0 but it appears you are trying to install
>> 1.0.2.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> On 18 July 2017 at 19:24, Sjoerd van Staveren <sjoerd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Bilal,
>> >
>> > I have tried to install your package. I get the following error:
>> >
>> > Error: Command failed: npm install --save --save-prefix="~" --production
>> > node-red-contrib...@1.0.2
>> > npm ERR! Linux 4.9.28-v7+
>> > npm ERR! argv "/usr/bin/nodejs" "/usr/bin/npm" "install" "--save"
>> > "--save-prefix=\"~\"" "--production"
>> > "node-red-contrib...@1.0.2"
>> > npm ERR! node v6.11.1
>> > npm ERR! npm v3.10.10
>> > npm ERR! code ETARGET
>> >
>> > npm ERR! notarget No compatible version found:
>> > node-red-contrib...@1.0.2
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/node-red/fa8a85fe-d126-4b83-a1de-9a9724c49797%40googlegroups.com.

Sjoerd van Staveren

Jul 23, 2017, 3:34:24 AM7/23/17
to Node-RED
You're right. Installing directly form the command line doesn't work either:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo npm i node-red-contrib-milight
npm WARN saveError ENOENT
: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/package.json'
npm notice created a lockfile
as package-lock.json. You should commit this file.
npm WARN enoent ENOENT
: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/package.json'
npm WARN pi
No description
npm WARN pi
No repository field.
npm WARN pi
No README data
npm WARN pi
No license field.

+ node-red-contrib-milight@1.0.1
added
3 packages in 5.798s
pi@raspberrypi
:~ $

 I have asked Bilal (alronz) in this tread but he hasn't given a reaction yet.

Mark Setrem

Jul 23, 2017, 4:52:57 AM7/23/17
to Node-RED
Sjoerd,
The npm command you have listed did work,
Warn are warning not errors.

But you appear to have run it in the wrong location. You need to run it from within the .node-red directory.
You also have run it as sudo, why? This can also cause issues and for most nodes it isn't required.

There is also no guarantee that the author will read comments you post here, which is why someone suggested you contact them via github which they are more likely to read.

Colin Law

Jul 23, 2017, 5:04:50 AM7/23/17
to node...@googlegroups.com
On 23 July 2017 at 08:34, Sjoerd van Staveren <sjo...@van-staveren.net> wrote:
>> You're right. Installing directly form the command line doesn't work
>> either:
>

> pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo npm i node-red-contrib-milight

As well as Mark's comments note that you should generally not use sudo
when installing nodes.

Colin

Sjoerd van Staveren

Jul 23, 2017, 7:50:20 AM7/23/17
to Node-RED
Thank you guys for your comments. Node-RED is new to me so I make beginners mistakes. I will follow your advice.

Sjoerd

Sjoerd van Staveren

Mark Setrem

Aug 4, 2017, 12:26:42 PM8/4/17
to node...@googlegroups.com
It could be one of four things:
1)Bilal has chosen not to publish it to npm
2)He has published it without the keyword node-red
3)There's another mistake in the package.json file
4) The third-party service that is used to make the list of nodes hasn't picked up the change (if it is this Bilal can request an update on flows.nodered.org)

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to node-red+u...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/node-red.