install problem, NLTK

Al Loup

May 27, 2017, 4:17:08 PM5/27/17
to nltk-users
When I try to install NLTK (nltk-3.2.4.win32.exe (md5) ) I get the error msg "Python version -32 required, which was not found in the registry".  But I HAVE installed 32-bit Python version 3.2 successfully.  I am running Windows 10 on a 64 bit machine (ASUS).  I switched to a 36 bit machine (Toshiba) and installed Python 3.2, then attempted NTLK.  Same error msg.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks,  Al

dvp

Jun 8, 2017, 8:50:47 PM6/8/17
to nltk-users
I get the exactly the same error message except on my Win7 64 bit machine. Initially I installed the latest version of python, i.e. python3.6.1, and the installation of NLTK (nltk-3.2.4.win32.exe (md5) )  gave me this error. Then I installed 3.5.2, the same thing happened. Next I installed python 3.4, the same. Eventually, I uninstalled all of them and re-installed the 3.4, and ran nltk-3.2.4.win32.exe, the same. Any suggestions? Please.

dvp

Jun 13, 2017, 4:25:00 AM6/13/17
to nltk-users

Eventually, I got this problem solved by using "python -m pip install nltk", which perfectly installed nltk without any complains. Namely, I bypassed the windows installer (nltk-3.2.4.win32.exe).

Raunak Pillai

Jun 22, 2017, 5:38:24 PM6/22/17
to nltk-users
Hi,

I have tried this approach towards solving the installation issue. Providing you exactly the precise steps to be followed so as to install and configure you system Python and NLTK ready. I assume you guys are having a 64 bit hardware and on top of it Windows 10.

1) Use this URL to download Python, "https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.1/python-3.6.1.exe".
2) Make sure you check the prompt "Add Python to the Path", which is the very first wizard which comes during installation. This is will install Python and add it to the path, sparing you from the trouble of setting up the environment variable so as to add Python to the PATH.
3) Launch Windows terminal  --> type python --> type "python -m pip --version", if PIP is installed ( PIP will help you to get NLTK) you'll get the version. or else i am attaching a file "get-pip.py" download the file, browse to the download folder through the Window's Terminal where this "get-pip.py" file is present, run the command "python get-pip.py". PIP, installed bingo. Run the command "python -m pip --version".
4) Go ahead and run the command python to launch the python interpreter and then "pip install nltk". NLTK installed !!. Then finally, nltk.download().

Steven Bird

Jun 24, 2017, 6:05:47 AM6/24/17
to nltk-users
Thanks for this input.

From the last two posts (below) it looks like the existing windows installation instructions at http://www.nltk.org/install can be changed to use pip, for both 32 and 64 bit, and we stop distributing the executable installer.

Further comments on this would be welcome.

-Steven Bird

On 12 June 2017 at 15:17, dvp <lijian...@gmail.com> wrote:

Eventually, I got this problem solved by using "python -m pip install nltk", which perfectly installed nltk without any complains. Namely, I bypassed the windows installer (nltk-3.2.4.win32.exe).

Martin Dowling

Jul 23, 2017, 11:11:59 PM7/23/17
to nltk-users
dvp's solution worked for me as well just now.  This was the first time I have ever installed anything without using a Windows install .exe and the first time using pip.  More explicit instructions for Python and pipi newbies would be great.