SPEED DATE APPROACHING!!!

Pam

Jul 30, 2012, 6:58:38 PM7/30/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
The date for the Speed Date an Author Event is fast approaching.
If you haven't signed up, or if you have but now find you can't attend, please follow this link and update.
I have to let Erik know how many authors we have. The more the merrier! So please try to attend.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjcK08veDam6dFg4T2VGWkdoQ3U1M1B0bHFYZlg3UWc#gid=0
Message has been deleted

Brad Wheeler

Jul 30, 2012, 7:04:08 PM7/30/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Your flier is missing someone particularly important!

*cough*

Ahem. Dusty in here.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Pam <pam.bainbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's a flier where you can find all the info, or use it to promote the event.

Thanks!

-- Brad Wheeler
http://thetenthword.wordpress.com

Brad Wheeler

Jul 30, 2012, 7:08:46 PM7/30/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
That said, I will definitely be there.

Andy Bunch

Jul 30, 2012, 7:15:34 PM7/30/12
to NIWA Group
yeah, I remember a long time ago when Pam made the template for that poster she used an event we weren't all going to. She said at the time it would probably mean that some people were advertised for events they weren't coming to and someone would get left off when they'd be there. My old cover is in the middle but my face doesn't appear (probably a good thing). It would be good to change the names though.

Hopefully we get a few more people, this could be a fun event and only an hour and a half out of the day. People have to see your book and your name several times before they buy. So exposure is good.

A. R. Bunch
_______________________________________
No one succeeds without great effort, but many people work hard and don't get what they want. The first key to success is deciding what you want.

My URLS
www.facebook.com/TaleScribe
http://funamazingetc.blogspot.com/
My UNYK ID is: SAJ 281

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:08:46 -0700
Subject: Re: SPEED DATE APPROACHING!!!
From: order...@gmail.com
To: niwa...@googlegroups.com

Jennifer Willis

Jul 30, 2012, 7:26:18 PM7/30/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I didn't make it onto the flier either...

What time do you need for us to arrive? What should we bring with us, or do to prepare?

-- Jen

Pam

Jul 30, 2012, 7:27:15 PM7/30/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com, sir_...@hotmail.com
What a bunch-o-whiners. Celebrities! So difficult.
I'll be back with changes.

-- Brad Wheeler
http://thetenthword.wordpress.com

Jennifer Willis

Jul 30, 2012, 7:36:57 PM7/30/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com, sir_...@hotmail.com
Yes, we are an insufferable lot. Or we just want to make sure attendees know what they're getting themselves into; I'd hate to have people show up for the event and then run screaming for the hills after they get a look at us.

Brad Wheeler

Jul 30, 2012, 7:38:53 PM7/30/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Plus, you're giving up the hordes of people that my fame--nay, my image alone--would draw in.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Jennifer Willis <j...@jennifer-willis.com> wrote:
Yes, we are an insufferable lot. Or we just want to make sure attendees know what they're getting themselves into; I'd hate to have people show up for the event and then run screaming for the hills after they get a look at us.

Message has been deleted

Brad Wheeler

Jul 30, 2012, 7:48:27 PM7/30/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Pam! You're a real sport to put up with us on the best of days.

Pam

Jul 30, 2012, 7:54:29 PM7/30/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Okay you guys. How's this? No faces at all, just your pretty covers to draw them in.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Pam <pam.bainbridge.cowan@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's a flier where you can find all the info, or use it to promote the event.

Thanks!

Speed Date Event Flyer_8.5x11.pdf

Andy Bunch

Jul 30, 2012, 9:51:05 PM7/30/12
to NIWA Group
I like it Pam.

A. R. Bunch
_______________________________________

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:54:29 -0700
From: pam.bainbr...@gmail.com
To: niwa...@googlegroups.com

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/niwahome/-/vRZ_C93eW4cJ.

Jennifer Willis

Jul 31, 2012, 2:33:45 PM7/31/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com, sir_...@hotmail.com
Looks good! Although I admit the "authors you might meet" gave me a chuckle—made me wonder if we might as well throw in J.K. Rowling and Ernest Hemingway, too, since there's no guarantee they'll be there. ;)

-- Jen

Mike

Jul 31, 2012, 4:08:40 PM7/31/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
As much as I really want to be there, that's my middle of the week dinner night with the kiddos. Have fun everyone!

Pam

Jul 31, 2012, 6:43:43 PM7/31/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Not surprised Mike. Since the new job you don't show up for much. Is it the money, man? Is it that how it is? Now that you're rollin' in it we don't even get on the radar. *sniffle* It's okay, we'll be fine without you. Fine...

Andy Bunch

Jul 31, 2012, 6:47:17 PM7/31/12
to NIWA Group
Oh he'll be there...on drugs. Woot! This should be a good one.

A. R. Bunch
_______________________________________

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:43:43 -0700

From: pam.bainbr...@gmail.com
To: niwa...@googlegroups.com

Jennifer Willis

Jul 31, 2012, 10:41:15 PM7/31/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com, sir_...@hotmail.com
Oh, gee. Can I sit next to Andy?

-- Jen

Andy Bunch

Aug 1, 2012, 5:32:04 PM8/1/12
to NIWA Group
Yes, yes you can. Although I got my events mixed up. Pam's right, Mike won't be at the writers mixer. I will be though!

A. R. Bunch
_______________________________________

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:41:15 -0700
From: j...@jennifer-willis.com
To: niwa...@googlegroups.com
CC: sir_...@hotmail.com

Pam

Aug 6, 2012, 6:44:17 PM8/6/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com, sir_...@hotmail.com
Now Jen, you know good and well we can't be tossing in dead people.
Lisa and I will be there at 6:30 so if you want to get there around then so you can set up it would be great.

Pam

Aug 6, 2012, 6:51:52 PM8/6/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com, sir_...@hotmail.com
Now Jen, you know we can't just go tossing in dead people.

Lisa and I will be there at 6:30 to set up our books and whatever so if you can be there by then that would be great.
Really appreciate you going. I promised 7 authors, and if everyone flakes we're going to look like total losers, and that's the last gig we'll get from Community Libraries!

Andy Bunch

Aug 7, 2012, 1:08:53 AM8/7/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
I'll shoot for being there at 6:30, I don't know if I'll get a chance to carpool or not. I'll make it there either way.

Writing Solutions by and Adventure Writer
Go to SirBunch.com

Jennifer Willis

Aug 7, 2012, 3:05:48 PM8/7/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
I don't have any materials to set up—it's just me. I'm still kind of unclear on what the format/purpose is...? But I'll be there. :)

-- Jen

Andy Bunch

Aug 7, 2012, 9:16:34 PM8/7/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
If you have book marks or cards etc, that's be great. Mostly you'll be at a table and people will come sit with you for a few minutes and talk about writing. You can answer questions about the craft of writing/publishing and maybe get them excited about you, and your book by proxy.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Jennifer Willis <rev...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't have any materials to set up—it's just me. I'm still kind of unclear on what the format/purpose is...? But I'll be there. :)

-- Jen

Writing Solutions by Adventure Writer--Andy R. Bunch

Jennifer Willis

Aug 8, 2012, 11:56:08 AM8/8/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Andy!

-- Jen

Tonya Macalino

Aug 9, 2012, 11:46:50 AM8/9/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much, Pam, for setting up this Speed Dating event! Ray and I had a lot of fun and it was so good to see you all again!

Adam Copeland

Aug 9, 2012, 12:20:34 PM8/9/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Yes Pam, thanks so much!

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G

Tonya Macalino <to...@tonyamacalino.com> wrote:

Thanks so much, Pam, for setting up this Speed Dating event! Ray and I had a lot of fun and it was so good to see you all again!

Jennifer Willis

Aug 9, 2012, 1:32:45 PM8/9/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Pam! And, btw, I blogged about last night's event this morning:

http://jennifer-willis.com/2012/08/you-know-more-than-you-think/

-- Jen

Andy Bunch

Aug 9, 2012, 5:38:29 PM8/9/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Yep Pam. Thanks for setting that up. It's good for us to do some events that aren't sales oriented. It keeps us grounded in that part of our mission--helping writers learn to write and publish better quality.

Pam

Aug 10, 2012, 12:32:20 PM8/10/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for attending the speed date.  I was way more than usually nervous because, well, that was MY name on the contract. I was the one promising I could deliver 5 or more authors and I DID! Thanks to you guys. *applause, whistling sounds, hurray*  BTW this is why I was so giddy afterward. The realization that the event had been super successful was a tremendous relief.

One of the things I learned was, that although the event was not about selling our books, it was a fantastic opportunity for those of us with spin off services to "cross sell." If that's the right word. For instance, Lisa was able to hand out her cards showing that she's an editor and also invited several folks to sign up for her novel writing course at PCC. Tonya was able to do the same, inviting folks to her workshops at Jacobsen's. Had I been interested, I could have drummed up plenty of work doing formatting and covers. Beyond providing emotional support to writers our experience this past year and a half has helped us develop some amazing skills. I can certainly see, for instance, one or two of us creating a workshop on pitching, or how to format from for Amazon. Maybe in the future we'll have to rent a conference space and host our own self publishing workshops. This is what I do as part of my day job so would not be at all difficult for me to set up. Based on the interest we've seen, and if we did some strong marketing, I'm sure we could bring in some learners. I once hosted an all day conference on brain development and after paying the speaker and all the other expenses brought in  $29,000. Of course we had 400 attendees paying $99 each. Still, something we may want to think about.

Another realization I had, especially after hearing some pros ranting against self publishing, was that there are some people out there who are not talented authors but who nonetheless have a story to tell. People who want to be heard and deserve to be heard. No, they are not going to compete with the folks (such as ourselves) who are "real" writers. Nor should they be held to the same standard, but, they do have stories and the indie world gives them an opportunity to be heard. I think it's a very cool thing, and I'm even more determined to advocate for and support indies along the entire spectrum.

Well, off my soap box and back to work. Vacation starts tomorrow so of course there is hell to pay here at the day job.

Andy Bunch

Aug 10, 2012, 12:50:44 PM8/10/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com

Good points Pam. But they still need to hire a editor. Lol.

On Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:38:29 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:

> > Yep Pam. Thanks for setting that up. It's good for us to do some events that aren't sales orien...

> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Jennifer Willis <rev...@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Thanks, Pam! And,...

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Northwest Independent...

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/niwahome/-/ks4ZkvmMRVUJ.

Pam

Aug 15, 2012, 12:17:45 PM8/15/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
And you could teach the part about what the dif is between a good indie, who does his work and uses readers and editors, and those OTHER people. Hello from Idaho, BTW. Heading to Wyoming now. Toodles.

Andy Bunch

Aug 15, 2012, 6:25:20 PM8/15/12
to NIWA Group
I think you are onto something. This is inline with my vision for NIWA.

A. R. Bunch
_______________________________________

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 09:17:45 -0700
From: pam.bainbr...@gmail.com
To: niwa...@googlegroups.com

Frances Pauli

Aug 15, 2012, 6:35:56 PM8/15/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Good luck with this everyone! You make me wish I was closer.
On that note, we're trying to get organized and get some events going locally. I'm taking tips from y'all and watching very closely.
:)

Frances

Andy Bunch

Aug 15, 2012, 7:09:42 PM8/15/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Francis,

We looked at doing chapters and it was going to be more work than we could take on in the near future. We really want to hand the power to you folks to organize events and things locally. We also want to be a resource if you have questions, and as the website grows it can answer a lot of questions.

I think I speak for all the officers when I say that we have a lot of faith in what Indies can do when they get together.  Don't be afraid to do some informal gatherings just to get to know each other, brainstorm what sorts of resources your community needs in order to put out more writing, with better quality, and sell more of it. If we've accomplished anything magical here, its come from leveraging the unique talent, experience, and drive of our members.

I'll give you this much advice for starters, Indies are like cats. You won't be able to harness them into a rigid structure to pull the same direction. Look for tit-for-tat work trades, info swaps, etc. where each members uniqueness and effort are valued and sharing those things brings fast visible rewards. One aspect of being an "association" is that the group will thrive when you find a sort of mutual, benevolent self interest. It's not easy to find, but one thing Indies excel at is creative solutions.

So, I'm glad you aren't waiting around for us to think of ways to work you into our plans. I know we'll continue to be active and we'll try to keep inspiring. Let us know when you guys think of things that work too. There's so much going on over where you are in the inland empire, and also up in Seattle. I'm looking forward to having two thriving outposts in those spots this year.

Andy

Adam Copeland

Aug 15, 2012, 7:40:03 PM8/15/12
to niwa...@googlegroups.com