Less opinonated default config.py

Dave

Mar 5, 2016, 9:22:57 AM3/5/16
to nikola-discuss
Getting started with nikola and running the demo was great as there were default options showing how things would work, the site looked good straight off and was easy to see a "nikola" way of doing things.

However, what was great for the demo is annoying now.

For example. I created a new site via importing a wordpress site. This is clearly not a demo site, but I had the default discus comment system for nikola added. Which I don't think anyone would ever want when importing an existing site (nor creating a new site imo). So it has to be removed. Have just imported 3 sites and had to remove it 3 times now, still got a couple of sites to move.... hence my desire for a "plain" config :)

Maybe there is an option for a cleaner config? Or the defaults which give "demo" content, can be removed with a command?

Actually, it just came to me that this is also hard coded as a default into nikola/nikola.py (just checked and can confirm).

If nothing exists for doing this:

I propose:

1) remove the "demo" defaults.* My* preferred choice as I don't need it :-). Although I appreciate you guys may have reasons for wanting it.

2) An arg option to create a "clean" config

3) perhaps some kind of secondary config system, where *my* defaults can be specified and used with each nikola new site that would override the nikola provided defaults. A bit like how debian (and maybe other distros) will have app.conf, then read from conf.d/*.cong