Is nikola slow now?

Roberto Alsina

Apr 8, 2014, 9:41:00 AM4/8/14
to Nikola—Discuss
Just curious. It started trying to be fast, and we do a lot of things
trying to not do more work than is needed on any given build.

But since features have grown a lot, maybe it's not fast anymore. Anyone
uses similar products and has an idea of the "speed feeling"?

Also: anyone has ideas about how to test for hotspots where optimizing
energy should be spent?

Baptiste Wicht

Apr 9, 2014, 7:15:45 AM4/9/14
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't make a long time I'm using this tool, but I think it is fast enough to be often used. It takes a long time if I do a clean then build, but it is normal since all images are optimized again, posts regenerated, HTML/CSS/JS optimized, ...
But a single nikola build seems fast enough to me.

A thing that is really important in my opinion is to rebuild as few as possible posts after an update. On my blog, if I do a nikola build every post seems to be rendered again even if I haven't made any change (two nikola build one after another allows me to reproduce that).

I've seen some bugs related to that, so perhaps it has already been fixed on trunk (I'm using 6.4).

Aside from that, it is quite good. I have tried Jekyll and it was definitely slower and I have seen other person complain about Jekyll too. Haven't tried other alternatives enough to have an opinion.

Roberto Alsina

Apr 9, 2014, 8:06:39 AM4/9/14
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
On 09/04/14 08:15, Baptiste Wicht wrote:
> It doesn't make a long time I'm using this tool, but I think it is
> fast enough to be often used. It takes a long time if I do a clean
> then build, but it is normal since all images are optimized again,
> posts regenerated, HTML/CSS/JS optimized, ...

Yes, the image resizing and such takes a lot of time and there's just a
little bit more we can do about it.

> But a single nikola build seems fast enough to me.
>
> A thing that is really important in my opinion is to rebuild as few as
> possible posts after an update. On my blog, if I do a nikola build
> every post seems to be rendered again even if I haven't made any
> change (two nikola build one after another allows me to reproduce that).

Hmmm it really shouldn't. It should only rebuild the last two posts, one
because it's new, the previous because the "next post" link changes.
There were some bugs that caused semi-random rebuild of things, but none
that would cause a full rebuild.

> I've seen some bugs related to that, so perhaps it has already been
> fixed on trunk (I'm using 6.4).
>
> Aside from that, it is quite good. I have tried Jekyll and it was
> definitely slower and I have seen other person complain about Jekyll
> too. Haven't tried other alternatives enough to have an opinion.

Cool, thanks for the info!