Add video to page

Matteo Parsani

Jan 22, 2015, 9:28:54 PM1/22/15
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
recently, I started building my website using Nikola. In my research page, I would like to add a video above or below or next to to some text. Is it possible to do that? If so, are there examples where I can learn?

Thank you!

Best Regards

gt

Jan 22, 2015, 11:32:03 PM1/22/15
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
What type of video do you mean? Hosted on your server or a third party link?

Also, are you using restructuredtext or markdown?

Paraplegic Racehorse

Jan 23, 2015, 10:40:18 AM1/23/15
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
You can always slip some HTML into the page. Both restructuredtext and markdown support this, which means Nikola does, too.

<video src=""></video>

See here for more about the HTML5 video element.

Most modern browsers support the HTML5 video element and it's the easiest way to embed a video in HTML. It should also obey style. So you could

<video.right src=""></video>

with .right defined in style somewhere; or add style inline.

--
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
"Grand Curmudgeon" :: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994.

Chris Warrick

Jan 23, 2015, 11:05:31 AM1/23/15
to Nikola—Discuss
On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 3:28 AM, Matteo Parsani
<parsani...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> recently, I started building my website using Nikola. In my research page, I
> would like to add a video above or below or next to to some text. Is it
> possible to do that? If so, are there examples where I can learn?

If you are using reStructuredText, you have three things you can use
the `media`, `youtube` and `vimeo` directives.
http://getnikola.com/handbook.html#media for examples.

You probably don’t want to host it on your own webserver.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Paraplegic Racehorse
<paraplegic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <video.right src=""></video>
>
> with .right defined in style somewhere; or add style inline.

This is not HTML. Did you mean <video class="right" src=""></video> ?

PGP: 5EAAEA16

Matteo Parsani

Jan 23, 2015, 11:15:47 AM1/23/15
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for all your help!

I am planning to host my website on github-pages.

Is that feasible?

Thanks!

Matteo

Chris Warrick

Jan 23, 2015, 11:18:03 AM1/23/15
to Nikola—Discuss
On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Matteo Parsani
<parsani...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for all your help!
>
> I am planning to host my website on github-pages.
>
> Is that feasible?

GitHub probably isn’t going to like you hosting video files there.
Just upload it to YouTube like everyone does. It will also be easier
to use with Nikola.

Matteo Parsani

Jan 23, 2015, 11:21:26 AM1/23/15
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
Okay, thank you!

Matteo

Aleksey Philippov

Feb 18, 2015, 5:21:28 AM2/18/15
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
Hello.
I have a bit same question, but i have video files in webm format and i want to use it in image gallery.
Is any plans to add webm support for image galleries?

Roberto Alsina

Feb 18, 2015, 7:23:56 AM2/18/15
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com

Not at this point.