CMS-like plugin for nikola

Aurélien Naldi

Mar 1, 2015, 7:23:59 AM3/1/15
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to provide CMS-like features for nikola as a plugin.
What I have in mind is a simple interface showing the list of existing pages and posts, and allowing to edit them and add new ones, showing a proper preview.

I first thought about a Qt gui, but it may be better as a local web service which would provide a simple API:
* list of pages
* grab metadata and markup for a given page
* preview and apply changes
* create new page

By serving this and some javascript, I guess nikola could gain a decent local CMS-like interface.

From what I can see, nikola already provides API to get the list of pages and their metadata, here are the things that I did not find and would make such a tool much easier/robust
* get the markup for a page (without opening the source file and stripping the metadata)
* save changes: merge metadata and markup
* simple preview API, handing parsing errors
* list available files (to insert images or download links)

Do you think that's feasible without deep changes to nikola itself? Does something similar exist? Would you use such a tool?

Chris Warrick

Mar 1, 2015, 7:31:55 AM3/1/15
to Nikola—Discuss
Already exists (though could use some more polish): http://coil.readthedocs.org/

PGP: 5EAAEA16

Aurélien Naldi

Mar 1, 2015, 8:16:30 AM3/1/15
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 1:31:55 PM UTC+1, Chris Warrick wrote:
On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 1:23 PM, Aurélien Naldi <aurelie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if it is possible to provide CMS-like features for nikola as a
> plugin.
> What I have in mind is a simple interface showing the list of existing pages
> and posts, and allowing to edit them and add new ones, showing a proper
> preview.
[...]

> Do you think that's feasible without deep changes to nikola itself? Does
> something similar exist? Would you use such a tool?

Already exists (though could use some more polish): http://coil.readthedocs.org/

Thanks for the pointer, I didn't know this one but it seems similar to alva: a full fledge server to run, nice for hosting multiple nikola sites, but not what I'm looking for. It is more efficient than a regular CMS but it still requires to install several servers, create accounts on redis and coil.... which is exactly what I would like to avoid.
I'm more thinking of something similar to nikola serve: a command which I can run locally on any system where nikola is installed with _nothing_ else to setup.

If such a tool doesn't exist, I guess that coil and alva could be good starting point as they may provide a nice web editor :)

Best

Chris Warrick

Mar 1, 2015, 8:34:35 AM3/1/15
to Nikola—Discuss
> --

Coil used to be that easy, when it was nikola webapp.

You could try and remove all the third-party dependencies:

* rqworker → switch to a dumb subprocess call without all that ajax
magic or rebuild from the shell
* redis → rewrite authentication to hold things in files or something
easier (or disable it altogether and make Coil inaccessible from the
outside world) and disable timeline caching (which is not needed for
single-process use)
* uwsgi → coil devserver