problem displaying demo site in browser

Nikola beginner

Aug 23, 2016, 11:03:23 AM8/23/16
to nikola-discuss

I'm just starting to use nikola.   I created the demo site.  When I do

nikola serve -b

the demo site looks fine.  When I do

firefox output/index.html

or

chromium-browser output/index.html

it looks ugly.   The content is there, but there is an extra

Skip to main content

at the top, and other changes, e.g., with the fonts.  Help?  Thanks.

Roberto Alsina

Aug 23, 2016, 11:41:38 AM8/23/16
to nikola-discuss
If you want opening directly like that to work, you need to change the USE_BASE_TAG setting to False in your conf.py and rebuild your site. Or keep on using nikola serve :-)

For a site deployed in production, USE_BASE_TAG ensures you get a coherent site, but it will probably work well without it anyway.

Chris Warrick

Aug 23, 2016, 1:51:02 PM8/23/16
to Nikola—Discuss
On 23 August 2016 at 17:41, Roberto Alsina <ral...@kde.org> wrote:
> If you want opening directly like that to work, you need to change the
> USE_BASE_TAG setting to False in your conf.py and rebuild your site. Or keep
> on using nikola serve :-)
>
> For a site deployed in production, USE_BASE_TAG ensures you get a coherent
> site, but it will probably work well without it anyway.

Not “probably”. It will work well, full stop. Other websites don’t
bother with that tag. And yet they work.

I’m still for removal of the <base> tag, at least by default, which
helps with nothing and results in user-unfriendly behavior like this.

PGP: 5EAAEA16

Roberto Alsina

Aug 23, 2016, 3:16:48 PM8/23/16
to Nikola—Discuss
I can go along with that. We can change the default, since it will not break things.

Nikola beginner

Aug 23, 2016, 3:18:27 PM8/23/16
to nikola-discuss
Thanks for the info; now things work.   Based on it I searched around and found that I'd set SITE_URL wrong.  So, the css files were being silently ignored.  Fixing that also makes things work, but I have to change it when moving the site from my local testbed to my production server.   W/o USE_BASE_TAG that's not a problem.