Nikola theming and modern CSS frameworks

Gour

Sep 5, 2017, 1:08:00 PM9/5/17
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm about to start working on few themes for Nikola and the usual procedure is
to use some CSS framework to build HTML/CSS/JS template using either mako or
jinja2 engine.

However, I wonder what to do to provide some means to customize
(e.g. using SASS) such theme by using the frameworks' build system -
these days npm, bower, gulp and similar JS-stuff are used for the
purpose, so I'm looking for some advice how to incorporate those into
Nikola's toolchain?

There are plugins to handle less/sass, but these days frameworks usually use
more complicated setups, so I wonder if some similar plugin e.g. for
npm/gulp/etc. would be solution or some other. more-general 'hook' to
incorporate such build system into Nikola?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Even if you are considered to be the most sinful of all sinners,
when you are situated in the boat of transcendental knowledge

Roberto Alsina

Sep 5, 2017, 1:10:13 PM9/5/17
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
Since we are not frontend people, no, there isn't.

In fact, I don't even know how that would look.

Gour

Sep 5, 2017, 2:14:42 PM9/5/17
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 17:10:01 +0000
Roberto Alsina <ral...@kde.org> wrote:

> In fact, I don't even know how that would look.

Have you seen this (plan for Hugo's future'):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-s2yFMZO3LeejNNeXVuRVZIUHc/view

It contains some plans to handle assets...

Here: https://github.com/jbrodriguez/hugulp is also something which might be in
the same vein.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master.
Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him.

Roberto Alsina

Sep 5, 2017, 2:26:36 PM9/5/17
to nikola-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, not reading 61 slides.

Chris Warrick

Sep 5, 2017, 2:34:36 PM9/5/17
to Nikola—Discuss
On 5 September 2017 at 19:07, Gour <go...@atmarama.com> wrote:
> However, I wonder what to do to provide some means to customize
> (e.g. using SASS) such theme by using the frameworks' build system -
> these days npm, bower, gulp and similar JS-stuff are used for the
> purpose, so I'm looking for some advice how to incorporate those into
> Nikola's toolchain?
>
> There are plugins to handle less/sass, but these days frameworks usually use
> more complicated setups, so I wonder if some similar plugin e.g. for
> npm/gulp/etc. would be solution or some other. more-general 'hook' to
> incorporate such build system into Nikola?

You can just write a plugin that runs those tools, it shouldn’t be a
problem. But do you really need to? You would usually make those
changes pretty rarely, so you can just run that tool when necessary.

And from a theme end-user perspective, I don’t want to install the
entire Node stack just to compile a single CSS file. Case in point: to
do that with Bootstrap, 181 megabytes of disk space are needed.

PGP: 5EAAEA16