Moving nhforge to github?

Oskar Berggren

Aug 25, 2014, 3:00:57 PM8/25/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
We seem to have repeated issues with nhforge being comparatively difficult to update, and right now it seems everyone is locked out. Though it's not too bad it could also do with a facelift.

We might look into migrating this to Github. As I understand it we could have static content in Github Pages (as a organization-level repository), for which anyone can suggest an update using a pull request. There is also Github Wiki.

I've never really used Github Pages or Wiki so cannot evaluate so far. Maybe others have thoughts?

Anyway, such a migration could be done by a volunteer who would like to help without digging deep into NHibernate source code.

/Oskar

Alexander Zaytsev

Aug 25, 2014, 4:49:23 PM8/25/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
I support this changes. I could do this migration.

--

---

Alexander Zaytsev

Aug 25, 2014, 5:41:39 PM8/25/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
Probably we could automatically move blogs and articles to jekyll, wiki will require semi-manual upload.
Aslo we will lose some functionality as login/signup feature.

I'm going to copy nhforge.org with HTTrack and then play around with this copy over github pages.

Alexander Zaytsev

Aug 25, 2014, 8:00:32 PM8/25/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
Can we somehow get the sources and the DB of nhforge.org?

Best Regards,
Alexander

Alexander Köplinger

Aug 27, 2014, 7:04:35 AM8/27/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
I've migrated the Mono Project website http://www.mono-project.com to GitHub Pages as well (along with a facelift), we launched it two weeks ago and the feedback has been very positive so far.

If you have any questions about GH Pages or how we've done it, feel free to ask :)

nhforge.org's design is not that bad, but there are a couple small things that could be improved on the site:
- the side bar content is pretty much identical to what I saw when I first used NH about ~5 years ago, so should be updated with something more relevant
- the "Download Now" link on the homepage points to a .zip file, while the NuGet package is insanely popular with over half a million downloads and should be the preferred way users get NHibernate in my opinion

Best regards,
Alex

Oskar Berggren

Aug 27, 2014, 8:10:02 AM8/27/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
I've had a little chat with Dario, he's promised to have a look at this discussion shortly.

Btw, I have control over the nhibernate.info domain if we think that name is better than nhforge.

/Oskar

Daniel Laberge

Sep 8, 2014, 12:32:39 PM9/8/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for the move to Github

Alexander Zaytsev

Sep 29, 2014, 12:26:37 AM9/29/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I've managed to export blog posts from nhforge.org. The very first alpha preview of the new github-pages based website is available at http://nhibernate.github.io/

What needs to be done:

1. Apply theme
2. Copy comments to disqus (any alternatives?) and enable them on a blog
3. Migrate wiki to github
4. Move over to a new domain.

Please contribute

Best Regards,
Alexander

Jeffrey Becker

Sep 29, 2014, 1:44:46 PM9/29/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
Is there anything I can do to help or does this require people who already have access to nhforge etc?

Alexander Zaytsev

Sep 29, 2014, 3:51:34 PM9/29/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jeffrey,

You can help with styling and with investigation of how to export wikis from communityserver (2008 I believe), and with proposal
how to import wikis (structure, platform, etc).

And, of cource, you can help with testing.

Best Regards,
Alexander

Jeffrey Becker

Oct 3, 2014, 7:04:21 AM10/3/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
I've been checking into this and nothing seems to be turning up.  There don't seem to be all that many pages in the existing wiki.  Maybe a manual conversion is a better bet?

Gunnar Liljas

Oct 3, 2014, 8:09:46 AM10/3/14
to nhibernate-development
IMHO, it's better to just set up a thin, core website, and leave most of the NHForge content in a backup somewhere. Most of it is very old, and even if it's relevant, the very age of the content is bad publicity. The first page has a prominent "follow us on Twitter" button. I don't think we want people to click it, The latest tweet was three years ago,

/G

Alexander Zaytsev

Oct 3, 2014, 7:25:21 PM10/3/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
You are welcome to make pull requests:)

Oskar Berggren

Oct 5, 2014, 8:56:44 AM10/5/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
I'm gonna ask around for access to the twitter account. I think we should revive it.

/Oskar

Ricardo Peres

Oct 5, 2014, 12:14:27 PM10/5/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
+1
But, what are we going to twit about? NH releases are not so frequent.

Gunnar Liljas

Oct 6, 2014, 3:48:58 AM10/6/14
to nhibernate-development
But it's a good start!

+1
But, what are we going to twit about? NH releases are not so frequent.

Oskar Berggren

Nov 2, 2014, 3:31:51 PM11/2/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
I've ported the "Your first NHibernate based application" wiki page to Github Wiki (https://github.com/nhibernate/nhibernate.github.io/wiki/Your-first-NHibernate-based-application). This is the "Getting Started" link on the nhforge.org start page. I ported and formatted the page manually. A bit cumbersome...

However, it lacks the images. I'm not entirely sure how to handle those. The Wiki editor itself only allows adding images using an URL, so we must decide how to manage the files. Supposedly by putting them in a repository. Any suggestions?

/Oskar

Alexander Zaytsev

Nov 2, 2014, 3:46:24 PM11/2/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Oskar for the great work!

Yes, we need to put files to nhibernate.github.io repository to the images folder on master branch.

Best Regards,
Alexander

Jeffrey Becker

Nov 12, 2014, 1:22:49 PM11/12/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
Would people be amenable to a pull request updating the content on this page a little? NHibernate has come a long way since 2008/9 when this was written.  Specifically using: Nuget packages rather than manual references, Loquacious Configuration rather than xml files, Mapping by Code rather than hbm files, and Linq Queries rather than Criteria, and DI compatibility rather than static singletons.  All of those features are important and should be mentioned but I think the code samples for the "my first NHibernate application" should reflect the state of the art now, not circa 4 years ago.

Daniel Laberge

Nov 12, 2014, 2:54:45 PM11/12/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
I also feel this would help direct new NHibernate users in the right, modern direction.

Cheers.

Logo ECC

Daniel Laberge

Vice-Président R&D

1-855-780-2929

ConstructBuy.com

ConstructBuy.com

--

---

Oskar Berggren

Nov 12, 2014, 3:08:41 PM11/12/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
PR with new and updated content would be very welcome. And work in the wiki too of course.

/Oskar

Jeffrey Becker

Nov 12, 2014, 4:54:37 PM11/12/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
The working/incomplete version of my update to the wiki article is here:

cremor

Nov 21, 2014, 3:13:46 AM11/21/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
Seems like http://nhibernate.github.io is now way better than http://nhforge.org (which isn't even finishing loading for me). Any reason why the NHibernate Github project description and readme file still points to http://nhforge.org?

Ricardo Peres

Nov 21, 2014, 4:24:23 AM11/21/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
Nobody changed it! :-P
Pull requests are welcome!

RP

Oskar Berggren

Nov 27, 2014, 5:37:41 PM11/27/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
The nhibernate.github.io address is temporary.

Jacob Levitt

Dec 4, 2014, 12:23:35 AM12/4/14
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
Glad we're moving everything to github. It's what people know. Even Microsoft is putting .NET core on github now.

Oskar Berggren

Jan 21, 2015, 4:15:56 AM1/21/15
to nhibernate-...@googlegroups.com
> The working/incomplete version of my update to the wiki article is here:
>
> https://github.com/jeffreyabecker/nhibernate.github.io/wiki/My-First-NHibernate

Due to the excessive effort required to port the nhforge wiki content
to Github wiki, I gave up on that and redid it as a static HTML page.
Still the original article. Would be great if you could adapt your
material to this pattern.

/Oskar