Mt. Washington Auto Road

Rebecca

Jun 19, 2016, 10:30:30 PM6/19/16
to Nhb...@googlegroups.com
This morning was one of the three dates this year when the Mt. Washington Auto Road opens early to allow people to drive up and see sunrise. We got there just after 3:30 am when the road opened and we were on the summit in plenty of time for a gorgeous moonset and sunrise. Then we had the rest of the morning to bird the road. It was warm, sunny, but still quite windy. We haven't tallied everything yet but here are the highlights.

Bicknell's Thrush 4, most from the former halfway house pullout
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 2
Fox Sparrow, 1 seen and heard about mile 2
Philadelphia Vireo 1 and possibly a second
American Pipit, at least 4 relatively close to the summit
Swainson's Thrush, MANY
Blackpoll Warbler, singing at most stops

There were many of the other, more commonly expected species. We'll have a full list in eBird when we get it entered.

Also, yesterday we had an Olive-sided Flycatcher on Hurd Hull Rd. in Lyman (thanks to Sandy and Mark Turner), but no luck with Sandhills Crane in Monroe.

Becky Suomala, Chichester
Zeke Cornell, Bow