Ammonoosuc Chapter Moss Program Wednesday 18 October 2017

David Govatski Gmail

Oct 16, 2017, 12:43:41 PM10/16/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday 18 October 2017, join the Ammonoosuc Chapter of NH Audubon for a special natural history field trip and evening program on Mosses, Liverworts and Hornworts with Ralph Pope.  Ralph is the author of “Mosses, Liverworts and Hornworts: A Field Guide to the Bryophytes of the Northeast” and also “Lichens Above Treeline”. The field trip and program is free and open to the public.

The field trip is from 2-4 PM and we will meet at the Red Barn at the Rocks Estate in Bethlehem. We will take an easy one-mile walk in the surrounding forest to look at a variety of mosses and liverwort species. The evening program will begin at 7 PM and we will learn more about the various species found in the northeast. We will also have a chance to look at various specimens that Ralph will have on display.

Dress for the weather and bring a hand lens if you have one. Ralph will have additional loaner hand lens for anyone who does not have one. Ralph will also have copies of his illustrated book for loan. This photo-based field guide to the more common or distinctive bryophytes of northeastern North America gives beginners the tools they need to identify most specimens with a hand lens. Ralph Pope's inviting text and helpful photographs cover not only the "true" mosses but also the peat mosses, liverworts, and hornworts.

The Rocks Estate is on Glessner Lane in Bethlehem. For directions and more information go to http://therocks.org

David Govatski
Jefferson, NH