Brown Booby

fiddl...@aol.com

Jun 12, 2017, 7:18:11 PM6/12/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

I saw the Brown Booby at Cobbets Pond in Windham, NH  this afternoon.
It is a life bird for me.
There were about 10 birders looking at the bird who was very
cooperative sitting on the top of the deck rail.
Thanks all for the info to see this bird.***
I parked in the town Beach parking area and no one said anything.

Bill Perry from Hampstead, NH

Robert Ridgely

Jun 21, 2017, 5:29:09 PM6/21/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

Well, my experience at Cobbett’s Pond couldn’t have been more different from one of the last posts regarding the booby.

I had to see my elderly father at his retirement home in Providence yesterday (6/20), and thought I’d give the booby a try on my way home.

That apparently was my mistake.  Had I stopped in the morning on my south, I’d likely have seen it.  In the afternoon, it was a no-show.

Oh well.

But the point of this message is to say that while I waited patiently at the town beach, trying to be as discreet as possible (there were lots of swimmers, and lots of kids, and there I was in my city clothes), the folks who noticed me just couldn’t have been nicer and friendlier.  Many knew just what I was doing and were curious about the bird, wanting to know where it came from, and why it was here.  Of course I couldn’t answer that, but it was fun to speculate and fun to speak with them.

So, it wasn’t all bad.  With the help of a lost and confused booby, I think we gave the people of Windham a very positive avian memory.

Now that she’s given us a thrill, let’s hope she’s winging her way back to the tropics where she belongs.

Robert S. Ridgely

North Sandwich

Chris Gagnon

Jun 22, 2017, 9:15:19 AM6/22/17
to NHBirds
I spent about 45 minutes at the town beach this morning from 6:15-7:00. The morning sun was tough to contend with & no sign of the bird. I even tried to drive around Arlington Pond but it is not very easy to find good looks at the pond - was wishing I had my kayak and a public boat launch.

-Chris gagnon
Hooksett, nh