Acadian Flycatcher - NO & Kite update

Steve Mirick

Jun 24, 2016, 6:18:44 PM6/24/16
to NH Birds
Spent about 1/2 hour listening along Bennett Road in Durham late this
morning, but no luck with the reported Acadian Flycatcher. I had an
empidonax, but I'm pretty sure it was a Willow Flycatcher. It never
sang, but made a lot of call notes and random noises. The consolation
prize was a MISSISSIPPI KITE seen from this location. It was soaring to
the south over the fields and was near the Lamprey River, not far from
Piscassic Street. Only my 2nd record for a kite outside of Newmarket.

After that I spent some time in Newmarket looking for kites. I CAME UP
COMPLETELY EMPTY. I spent about 1/2 hour at Piscassic Street, but no
birds soaring above, none perched in the snags, and no incubation going
on at the nest. The nest looked fine, but no birds! I thought for sure
there would be a female incubating. :-(

Then I drove around in the Durrell Woods subdivision.....NO LUCK. Then
around Gonet Drive.....NO LUCK.

So......I guess we need to do some more investigation!

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA